GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Catt bowringiana question. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/43380-catt-bowringiana-question.html)

Boystrup Pb, ann,... 18-09-2003 03:12 PM

Catt bowringiana question.

I have an adult catt bowringiana, but still no flowers. I water it quite a lot and use regular fertilizer. It has doubled it's size over the last year but still no indication of any attempt to flower. It's in a high humidity invironment, gets a lot of light and only a little eavening sun. I keep it in a clei pot with a bark, charcoal, sphagnum mix. The roots look very good and grow fast and plentyfull. The pseudobulbs are thick and strong yet not very high, also they don't seem to be getting higher, there are just a lot more of them.
I was wandering if any of you might know something that could help????
Thanks, cheers
Peter

K Barrett 18-09-2003 04:32 PM

Catt bowringiana question.

Time.

Peter, plants do things on their own schedule. My friends in the Carolinas had their bowringianas bloom a month ago. Mine are just emerging from sheath or just starting sheathes.

Relax.

K Barrett

Wendy 18-09-2003 11:33 PM

Catt bowringiana question.

Hi there Peter, funny you should mention, I just took a pic of the buds of my plant! I moved it from the
greenhouse a couple of years ago. It is outside under shadecloth & gets sunshine all day.
It would naturally get a bigger change in temps as well.
It sounds like you are doing everything right, maybe it's still a teenager? *g*
I found these urls:-
http://www.chadwickorchids.com/Cattleya/bowringiana.htm
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week004.shtml
Cheers Wendy

Susan Erickson 19-09-2003 04:35 AM

Catt bowringiana question.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:11:47 -0700, "Wendy"
wrote:

Hi there Peter, funny you should mention, I just took a pic of the buds of my plant! I moved it from the
greenhouse a couple of years ago. It is outside under shadecloth & gets sunshine all day.
It would naturally get a bigger change in temps as well.
It sounds like you are doing everything right, maybe it's still a teenager? *g*
I found these urls:-
http://www.chadwickorchids.com/Cattleya/bowringiana.htm
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week004.shtml
Cheers Wendy

Are you giving it GOOD light. It needs more that just bright
room light. My mentor said to hold you hand 8" above the plant,
then look at the shadow your hand cast on the plant. A Catt
needs a full clear and crisp shadow. If you don't give it that
much light you will only get rich green foliage and never a
flower in sight.
SuE

Kenni Judd 19-09-2003 11:26 PM

Catt bowringiana question.

I second Sue's comments on light. The foliage color can also help you
decide if this is your problem -- it should be a light to medium green, on
the order of lawn grass. If your leaves are a darker green than that, then
the plant needs more light in order to bloom.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Boystrup Pb, ann,... 20-09-2003 01:14 AM

Catt bowringiana question.

Thanks, I'll try more light, the plant is a bit on the dark side of green.
Cheers
Peter

"Kenni Judd" schreef in bericht