GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Off Topic x posted to abpo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/43438-off-topic-x-posted-abpo.html)

Wendy 19-09-2003 12:14 AM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

Is anyone else getting these phony emails regarding a M/S patch for security
etc.?
They have a virus attached!!!
My MailWasher has marked at least 7 of them today?
Cheers Wendy

Wendy 19-09-2003 04:13 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

Something else to ponder on. My husband & daughter are not getting any of
these
emails? They both do not go to any News Groups????
Cheers Wendy

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
I've gotten about 100 today :( Luckily the virus scanner on my mailserver
deletes the virus for me :)

Jerry Hoffmeister 19-09-2003 06:12 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

not exactly sure how u get on the "list" but likely someone got infected w/
you in their address book or something. and no, this one at least doesn't
seem to go the the newsgroups.

Ray 19-09-2003 07:32 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

Up to 477!

It's a problem having to keep your email address accessible to the pubic!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

J X M 19-09-2003 07:32 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

= not exactly sure how u get on the "list" but likely someone got infected w/
= you in their address book or something. and no, this one at least doesn't
= seem to go the the newsgroups.

My understanding of this goes something like this. Most viruses search machines for email
addresses stored in it, so things like newsgroup messages, email messages stored locally.
It then emails itself to those addresses.

Some rather simple things to try and stop them, you could add some junk to your email
address you use to post to the newsgroup like , seems to
work, of course it is only a matter of time before some virus writer decides to write a
more intelligent piece of code that actually removes all sorts of junk like that.

Or you could use a fake address, of course that limits you getting replies to your email
address. So something like
would throw the virus off track (
we hope ).

At any rate, I got a few of these, and I had fun looking at their hex codes. Thankfully,
by running Linux, I get to look at these viruses and not worry about registry hacks and
all that. But now this has nothing to do with orchids anymore....

Oh well.

John McIntyre

Diana Kulaga 19-09-2003 11:14 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

Ii got 137 of them today alone. Thankfully, I can delete off the ISP
without downloading, but my ISP mailbox was full.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 19-09-2003 11:27 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

Jerry Hoffmeister 20-09-2003 03:10 AM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

328 so far for me :(

"Ray" wrote in message
Up to 477!

It's a problem having to keep your email address accessible to the pubic!

. . . . . . . . . . .

Diana Kulaga 20-09-2003 03:42 AM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

384. What was the consensus? Castration?

Ray 20-09-2003 12:23 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

I just added 158 to the count. That's it, I'm not counting any more.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
384. What was the consensus? Castration?

Dewitt 20-09-2003 05:02 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:15:24 GMT, "Jerry Hoffmeister"
wrote:

I'm up to 458 :(

Got ya beat at 505!

deg

Boystrup Pb, ann,... 20-09-2003 05:22 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

I can beat that we are now at 555 and still comming.
Belgacom won't let change my e-mail adress till all messages have been read.
It just takes a heck of a time to keep on deleting them
Cheers
Peter

"Dewitt" schreef in bericht
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:15:24 GMT, "Jerry Hoffmeister"
wrote:

I'm up to 458 :(

Got ya beat at 505!

deg

Diana Kulaga 20-09-2003 07:02 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

515.

Wendy 20-09-2003 07:02 PM

Off Topic x posted to abpo

I lost count!!! But I did find out the the virus attachment is a NewsGroup
Worm!
Mine have stopped coming through now.
Double Cheers Wendy