Old 22-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Peter Aitken

Default Are these roots? What shuld I do?

I am new to orchids, and need some advice. A Dendrobium is making what look
like new roots near where a new shoot is emerging. Here's a pictu

http://www.pgacon.com/images/orchid.jpg

what does this mean and what should I do? Is it a new plant I can separate
and pot?

Thanks,
--
Peter Aitken

Old 22-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:48:21 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

I am new to orchids, and need some advice. A Dendrobium is making what look
like new roots near where a new shoot is emerging. Here's a pictu

http://www.pgacon.com/images/orchid.jpg

what does this mean and what should I do? Is it a new plant I can separate
and pot?

Thanks,

You have a keiki (baby) growing on the cane. The question is
when to separate. Generally you want enough root to support the
growth of the new plant on its own. One standard is a sum of 6
inches; that is the length of all roots summed equals 6 inches.

At what ever time you do decide the keiki should live on its own,
gently but firmly grasp the keiki in one hand and the mother cane
in the other; now gently twist and pull. You should have very
little trouble releasing the keiki from the other cane. If your
roots are mature and have grown down the side of the cane they
may have attached or just tangled so that they need to be teased
free. This condition causes more damage to the roots than taking
them early so remove the keiki before the plants become entangled
in a maze of roots.

Now that the keiki is separate, label it with the same
information you have on the big dendrobium. This is the same
plant and same clone as mom.

Enjoy
SuE
Old 22-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Peter Aitken

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your very helpful message. When I follow your advice my orchid
collection will increase from 3 to 4! Do you know the origin of the term
"keiki?" It sounds Japanese.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 23-09-2003, 03:08 AM
germ

Hawaian

keiki
(kay key)

Definition: child; children; kids

Jim
Old 23-09-2003, 03:14 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:53:32 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

Thanks for your very helpful message. When I follow your advice my orchid
collection will increase from 3 to 4! Do you know the origin of the term
"keiki?" It sounds Japanese.
Peter Aitken

Keiki is Hawaiian for baby. Good Luck.
SuE