Old 25-09-2003, 03:25 AM
Shell91

Default Colm Wildcat Jaguar Question

I just got this Colm Wildcat Jaguar and it's in a small plastic 3 or 4" pot.
The plastic pot is in a pretty ceramic orchid pot. Can I repot the orchid
while it's blooming? I'd like to put it in the nicer pot.

Shell

Old 25-09-2003, 04:45 AM
K Barrett

If I follow you correctly, your orchid is presently 'slip potted' in a
ceramic pot.

IMHO it is preferable to leave the orchid in a crappy plastic pot and slip
it into a prettier pot for display in the home.
1) it doesn't waste the nicer pot
2) you can exchange plants and put themin the nice pot as they come into
bloom
3) its easier to repot from the crappy plastic pot becasue the roots won't
adhere to the plastic and you won't cry if you break the crappy plastic pot.
4) you won't have to worry about when a good time to repot would be becasue
the palnt is in the crappy pot, and that can be done at the proper time,
rather than when you'd really rather have the nicer pot for something else.

So IMHO leave it as is.

K Barrett

igy.com...

Old 25-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Shell91

Sounds like a good idea. Most of my orchids and other plants are in clay
pots. I think I'll just leave everything alone for awhile
Shell

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

igy.com...

Old 25-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Ray

It is best to wait until the plant is finished with its blooming cycle
before repotting. Blooming consumes a lot of the plant's stored energy, and
if it perceives a shock during the transplantation, it may abort the flowers
so it can conserve that energy for getting established in the fresh medium.

If, on the other hand, the current medium is in really bad shape, then you'd
be risking the well-being of the pant to leave it there, so it would be
worth the risk. In that case, I'd chop off the inflorescence and then
repot.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell91" wrote in message
igy.com...
I just got this Colm Wildcat Jaguar and it's in a small plastic 3 or 4"

pot.
The plastic pot is in a pretty ceramic orchid pot. Can I repot the orchid
while it's blooming? I'd like to put it in the nicer pot.

Shell

Colm Wildcat Doris V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 10:05 PM
Colm Wildcat Rainbow V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 13-01-2008 12:11 PM
Colm Jungle Monarch 'Everglades' V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 12-04-2007 11:27 PM
Colm Help Shell Orchids 4 24-01-2004 06:02 AM
Colm Help Shell Orchids 0 22-01-2004 11:14 PM