Old 29-09-2003, 01:02 AM
R R

Default Aconitum - Facts

The Aconitum (Monkshood) is a perennial that flowers in July and August. It
is violet
blue, yellow or white in color and generally the shorter types, ie:
"Bressingham Spire" do
not need to be staked. There are some varieties that reach 6 feet tall.
They all require
rich soil and plenty of shade to thrive.

Now you know...

Cheers,

Remo Rosati, author
DIVINE INTERVENTION
http://www.geocities.com/newnovelann
Available at over 50,000 bookstores & online

Old 29-09-2003, 04:31 AM
paghat

In article , "R R"
wrote:

The Aconitum (Monkshood) is a perennial that flowers in July and August.

Some rebloom in autumn, or have their primary bloom in September &
October, including the cultivar "Arendsii" & some other varieties bred
from A. carmichaelii fischeri.

It
is violet
blue, yellow or white in color and generally the shorter types, ie:

There are now pink cultivars too! I'm still waiting to see one that is
bright red.

"Bressingham Spire" do
not need to be staked. There are some varieties that reach 6 feet tall.
They all require
rich soil and plenty of shade to thrive.

Moderate shade is best; they can stand quite a lot of sun if watered
sufficiently. Some are stunted in full sun but still bloom well, while
others will grow to seven feet high in deep shade because they're
searching for more light, but expend so much energy seeking the sun they
bloom less well.

I've pages about mine indexed he
http://www.paghat.com/garden6.html

They are witches' flowers. I love them.

-paghat the ratgirl

Now you know...

Cheers,

Remo Rosati, author

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 02-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Lilly

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:49:46 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

In article , "R R"
wrote:

The Aconitum (Monkshood) is a perennial that flowers in July and August.

Some rebloom in autumn, or have their primary bloom in September &
October, including the cultivar "Arendsii" & some other varieties bred
from A. carmichaelii fischeri.

Hey Paggers! Mine is still blooming, and it's about 4', I'd say.
Getting chilly at night round these parts. Going to put my garden to
bed soon, and as much of it is in pots (plus this is my biggest garden
in Washington State, yet, so I'm still getting used to the weather)
I'm going to have to figger out what to cut completely down, what to
shelter in the garage, and what to bring in the house... and then
there's mulching... :]

There are now pink cultivars too! I'm still waiting to see one that is
bright red.

I should think they would go swimmingly with Nasturtium and Astilbe?

"Bressingham Spire" do
not need to be staked. There are some varieties that reach 6 feet tall.
They all require
rich soil and plenty of shade to thrive.

Moderate shade is best; they can stand quite a lot of sun if watered
sufficiently. Some are stunted in full sun but still bloom well, while
others will grow to seven feet high in deep shade because they're
searching for more light, but expend so much energy seeking the sun they
bloom less well.

I have mine on the east porch, gets just enough of everything, I'm
excited about gathering it's seeds soon, something I've never done
before.

I've pages about mine indexed he
http://www.paghat.com/garden6.html

Lovely, as usual! The Stainless Steels sound fabulous!

They are witches' flowers. I love them.

As do I. I also think certain daturas are rather "witchy." I'm not
sure of the type I have, but the blooms are so dark purple, they're
almost black with a creamy almost white inner throat. Right now, mine
has about 20 spiked seed "balls" on it, can't wait for those either!
Reminds me of the "flying ball of death" in Phantasm.

Have you and Granny done any more thinking about moving to Idaho? I
have a friend who owns property in the north, right -on- the Snake
River, it' gorgeous!

~Lilly

Beware of silent dogs and still waters.
--Portuguese Proverb

Aconitum - Facts R R Australia 6 02-10-2003 02:33 AM
Aconitum - Facts R R Ponds 5 02-10-2003 02:33 AM
Aconitum - Facts R R Edible Gardening 3 02-10-2003 02:32 AM
Aconitum - Facts R R Roses 4 02-10-2003 02:24 AM