Old 05-10-2003, 06:12 PM
glowworm

Default have any groundhogs?

Hi-

strange posting you may think, but I'm looking to adopt an orphaned
groundhog. I'd like a pet groundhog and am looking to pay someone for
their "garden-unfriendly" baby groundhog.

I know that a lot of people might not think this is a great idea, but
I've done a good amount of research on it and am willing to give it a
go.

I don't want to go and just take one from the wild, but I've been told
that come October and November a lot of groundhogs become orphaned
when their mothers get hit by cars, shot or otherwise disappear.

I live in New York and would be willing to drive (a reasonable
distance) to come pick up the goundhog. However, because I'm raising
the animal in captivity, I need to start with a baby groundhog rather
than taking a full grown adult out of his element.

If you've got some groundhogs that you might not want and you'd be
willing to trap him HUMANELY, I will be willing to pay for the little
guy. You can contact me at the email below.

Thanks,
marianne

Old 05-10-2003, 07:02 PM
dd

You might want to rethink this. A groundhog is a wild animal. With
teeth. As a rule, they do not make good pets, and if you already have
pets, the groundhog could injure or kill them. If you let the groundhog
outside, he will eat everything in sight. The neighborhood groundhog
has come into my backyard and has mowed down entire 20" pots of plants
in minutes.

If you want to save a life and adopt a homeless animal, go to the
nearest animal shelter and adopt a cat or a dog. Approximately 30,000
homeless kitties and dogs die every DAY because they are homeless.
These animals will appreciate being taken into your home and heart. The
groundhog won't.

Old 06-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Diana Kulaga

Though your post is off topic, I feel the need to respond. I strongly agree
with the previous post in this thread. Little baby wild animals may seem
cuddly and cute, but you take a huge risk, for both you and the animal,
should you try to 'tame' one. When I lived in CT, a family in a nearby town
adopted a baby raccoon. That cute little animal chewed the toes off of
their infant boy while a babysitter slept.

If that's not enough for you, ask Ziegfield and Roy for an expert opinion..

Diana

Groundhogs Mike Davis Gardening 48 15-03-2004 01:02 AM
have groundhogs? glowworm Gardening 9 08-10-2003 05:18 AM
have groundhogs? glowworm Roses 0 05-10-2003 06:12 PM
Repelling of groundhogs Indictorfands Edible Gardening 13 22-08-2003 08:32 PM
groundhogs and tomatoes BT Gardening 5 21-08-2003 05:22 PM