Old 09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Onc. Makalll x Ornithorhynchum "Boso Sweet"?

A while back, my parents who are well aware of my obsession, gave me a gift
of an Oncidium orchid [Little did they know of my indifference to
Oncidiums). So I never bothered to really pay much attention to the tag. I
kind of glanced at it. I couldn't really make out the proper name, so I
just kind of forgot about it.
Sat it down next to the phals, and voila, it went into spike, and it is now
blooming. It reminds me of a group of mourning doves landing! The fragrance
is overwhelming (Smells very similar to Sharry Baby) and is very sweet. So
now of course, I want to know what the name is. This is what the tag says:

Onc. Makalll x Ornithorhynchum "Boso Sweet"

I was wondering if anyone knows the correct name (Is it Makalli, Makaill
etc...?)

I will post a photo of it in a.b.p.o

(I tried looking it up on the web, but found nothing).

Mariana

Old 09-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:47:18 GMT, "GrlIntrpted"
wrote:

[...]

Onc Nanboh Waltz is Onc Makalii x Onc ornithorhynchum

Mariana please note the Makalii is 2 i's at the end. It probably
was not in the type face on the tag.
Also ornithorhynchum is a species (small letters).

It was registered in 2001 by Ohba Orchids according to Wildcatt.
Very pretty thing. You say it smells like Sharry Baby? Chocolate
or just as sweet as Sharry?

SuE
Old 09-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:47:18 GMT, "GrlIntrpted"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

The fragrance is overwhelming (Smells very similar to Sharry Baby) and is very sweet.

Onc. ornithorhynchum is one of Sharry Baby's parents, IIRC.
--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old 10-10-2003, 11:02 PM
GrlIntrpted

wrote:

[...]

Sue thank you thank you thank you thank you! Much appreciated!

The flowers smell very sweet, very chocolatey (is that a word? g)

Mariana
updating my orchid database!

Old 13-10-2003, 03:02 PM
William Hill

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message .net...
[...]

Hi Mariana, I have a bunch of that cross which I got as compots, 1 is
in spike & I thank you for the preview of what it looks & smells like.
It is: Onc. Makalii 'Gota' as pod parent and Onc. ornithorynchum as
pollen parent The tag should properly read: ONC.________ (onc. Makalii
X ornithorynchum)'Bosco Sweet'apparently the plant was 'cloned without
(or before) being registered. Hope this helps--I could be wrong & the
ornithorynchum could be a clone named 'Bosco Sweet' but I'll know when
more plants bloom from the compots. BTW don't frown on
Oncidiinae--they grow like weeds, bloom often & are some of the
easiest plants to grow. Big variety in flower color size etc. Bill

Old 14-10-2003, 03:02 AM
GrlIntrpted

"William Hill" wrote in message
om...

Hi Mariana, I have a bunch of that cross which I got as compots, 1 is
in spike & I thank you for the preview of what it looks & smells like.
It is: Onc. Makalii 'Gota' as pod parent and Onc. ornithorynchum as
pollen parent The tag should properly read: ONC.________ (onc. Makalii
X ornithorynchum)'Bosco Sweet'apparently the plant was 'cloned without
(or before) being registered. Hope this helps--I could be wrong & the
ornithorynchum could be a clone named 'Bosco Sweet' but I'll know when
more plants bloom from the compots. BTW don't frown on
Oncidiinae--they grow like weeds, bloom often & are some of the
easiest plants to grow. Big variety in flower color size etc. Bill

Bill thank you for the information.

As to the Oncidiinae, it's not that I frown on them, I'm just indifferent
to the species. Perhaps it is partly because it is so easy to grow them,
perhaps because the flowers on most of the one's that I've encountered are
so small. But this particular one is very pretty, and the flowers are not
as small as the other onc's that I've seen.
Who knows, maybe I'll grow to like them some day .

Again thank you,
Mariana