GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Silly Question about Onc. Sharry Baby (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/45583-silly-question-about-onc-sharry-baby.html)

Bacchae 17-10-2003 02:02 AM

Silly Question about Onc. Sharry Baby

I feel rather silly asking this question but as I am a rather
complete newbie I decided to err on the part of admitting my
stupidity.

Question: Unbelievably my Onc. Sharry Baby is sending up a
second flower spike (it is currently in flower but starting to
lose the oldest of the blooms from that spike). The leaf the
new spike is following has a rather tight fold to it and it is
making the spike bend somewhat backwards near the pseudobulb
obviously from the back-pressure of trying to shove its tip up
the leaf fold. Should I try to ease it out of the leaf fold or
just let it be?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Pictures available on
ABPO for clarity.

- Sandy

Ray 17-10-2003 02:02 AM

Silly Question about Onc. Sharry Baby

Don't EVER feel silly asking questions. That's why we are all here!

If you can do so without nicking the spike, use a sharp knife are carefully
slit the side leaf to release the spike. Those small lateral leaves will be
the first to go anyway, and as long as the ones coming from the end of the
pseudobulb are OK, all will be fine.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Bacchae 17-10-2003 03:02 AM

"Ray" wrote in message ...

Don't EVER feel silly asking questions. That's why we are

all here!

If you can do so without nicking the spike, use a sharp knife

are carefully
slit the side leaf to release the spike. Those small lateral

leaves will be
the first to go anyway, and as long as the ones coming from

the end of the
pseudobulb are OK, all will be fine.

Thank you! Your reply gave me the courage to safely free the
trapped little spike.

I am thrilled that this plant is spiking again for me. I have
no idea what I did to make it happy but it is certainly
returning the favour.

Thanks again!

- Sandy