Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Wendy

Default Gutter Guard for Mounts?

Was it someone in out group that mentioned they use gutter guard to make
containers
for mounting orchids?
Need instructions as I have not a clue???
Cheers Wendy

Old 20-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Ray

I have fashioned vanda baskets out of the black plastic variety. Don't do
it, it's almost impossible to deal with once the plant gets really big and
you want to remove it.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 21-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Wendy

Yes Ray, I could see why after examining the plastic grid but someone
mentioned a pouch type of deal?
I also want to make a totem pole for my vanilla. Do you think it would work?
Cheers Wendy
"Ray" wrote in message
I have fashioned vanda baskets out of the black plastic variety. Don't do
it, it's almost impossible to deal with once the plant gets really big and
you want to remove it.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 21-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Ray

I have made "hydrologs" by surrounding florist foam with sphagnum, followed
by coconut husk fiber, followed by the grid, so I don't see why it wouldn't
work for a totem. I still think that a treefern totem would look better.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:29:39 -0400, "Ray"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

I have made "hydrologs" by surrounding florist foam with sphagnum, followed
by coconut husk fiber, followed by the grid, so I don't see why it wouldn't
work for a totem. I still think that a treefern totem would look better.

I've seen vanilla growing in a relatively small 8" pot at the base of
a 4" diameter vertical pole (supporting the ridge of a greenhouse)
climb the pole and along the roof structure for many tens of feet. No
"hydrolog" seems to be necessary for vary large vanilla specimens;
apparently any support will do fine.

If you're interested in seeing this vanilla plant, Wendy, you might
consider attending the November 4 & 5 Fall Orchid Festival (10 a.m. -
3 p.m. Admission $2.00) held at the UCI Arboretum. There are usually
many orchid vendors outdoors offering a diversity of lovely specimens.
The Arboretum is located approximately one mile south of the 405
freeway, very close to the corner of Jamboree Road and Campus Drive.

Map: http://tinylink.com/?Vmha54ZlE6 or http://shorterlink.com/?4HEP90

Old 22-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Wendy

Thanks Larry, yes, my vanilla plant is fairly long & right now the one piece
is attached to some sisal twine & going
up to the roof where I have an old tree branch in a horizontal position.
Just want it to be more sturdy.
I love UC Irvine's plant shows, 2nd to Crate & Barrel. Hope to see you
there. I will be hobbling around
with a cane because of my Plantar Fasciitis.........Thanks for the reminder.
Cheers Wendy

:

Old 23-10-2003, 12:32 AM
profpam

Larry,

For some reason the link did not come across. Could you more or less
describe the proximity of the orchid show?

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html
--------------------

:

Old 23-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Wendy

Hi there Pam, UC Irvine is about a mile south east of John Wayne Airport.
This show is really small & on the opposite end of the totem pole if
comparing to the Otani show in LA.
The vendors cater mainly to the beginners but the reason I like it is
because it's just up
the freeway from me.
Cheers Wendy

:

Old 23-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:25:08 -0700, "Wendy" wrote in
I love UC Irvine's plant shows, 2nd to Crate & Barrel.

I wasn't aware that Crate & Barrel held orchid shows. Tell me more,
please.

Hope to see you there.

I'll be the 60 year old, 6' Italian-American with a reed-stem Epi in
his collar. :-)

Old 23-10-2003, 09:22 PM
profpam

Wendy,

I guess I had UCR in mind when I asked for directions. Somehow I used
to get lost in the loop. Also, Cal-Poly Pomona got us lost when we were
looking for the Raymond Burr Collection. It used to be that one could
visit the greenhouses; however, they are now off-limits to the public.

:

Old 24-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Wendy

Hmmm.....? I have the same problem up in Santa Barbara, always go the wrong
way.
- Raymond Burr Collection, I once had a chance to get some seedlings
of his blues but
I had just started & was leery about buying babies. I could kick myself now.
Cheers Wendy

:

Old 24-10-2003, 03:02 PM
molli

Wendy, the college holds a sale of the Raymond Burr orchids twice a year.
Just last weekend in fact. A friend of mine picked me up two. I now own
four of his orchids. Huge plants with massive root systems!

--

Hugs,
Molli

:

Old 26-10-2003, 02:42 PM

It's a long link:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...EUYvA8gRMAvnKx
pJzvZRBCJOgk8Azz17jjHr%2fBYA5hQ%2b1J%2bDOP9JbM7Rjz nkKYJvPjwXEgxq945wTfUlgho62hOnZgOKw8GH%2ft%2fJEliC 3Y1PaAo12Fqbbh9EFSPi%2fiG3h%2fLOr2hLLVMTfMLcnJmi7H KeXoiQ0ndwoh8AVUQrKBwtaoxBrPq1aesDuHx7Q1bvtGn6JzsU i6UvaX5yuFrRSXFc2IM6zge5frmF7MK3mD91oiCSk0njKeHe%2 fLxN%2
fKg814tcfJFq9JWuyyBMqeJ6lZwmOFvgorYks7NhFWMZw%2bRE N8%2bvxL47jyb99xX4YMpfH2wCG0TvNAej8ndJMBo8z0ELKo4d 1e373PjBvBAoT8AuAdqKF%2bW
I tried to make it shorter (twice), but those services are often
overloaded.

The UCI Fall Orchid Festival is going to actually be held on November
1 & 2 this year, I believe. The "arboretum" is located near the
southeast corner of Jamboree and Campus Drive. Just take the San
Diego freeway (I-405) south and exit on Jamboree south bound toward
the coast. It's only a couple of miles to Campus Drive; Turn left and
you should see it on the right side. I hope you can make it.

:

Gutter guard? Shaw Australia 7 19-05-2006 02:11 PM
Free compost from gutter cleanings - Gutter Guards installed, Cleaning included 2.25 per Ln.ft. [email protected] North Carolina 0 23-02-2005 10:44 PM
plastic mesh (gutter guard type) availability in Australia? Laurence Dodd Australia 1 31-03-2004 08:32 AM
plastic mesh (gutter guard type) availability in Australia? Laurence Dodd Australia 0 31-03-2004 03:41 AM
plastic mesh (gutter guard type) availability in Australia? Laurence Dodd Australia 0 31-03-2004 03:21 AM