GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Are any other fruits bad for orchids? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/46411-any-other-fruits-bad-orchids.html)

Alison 31-10-2003 08:02 AM

Are any other fruits bad for orchids?

I've been wondering if any fruits besides apples give off enough
ethylene to cause bud drop. I read some of the discussion in the
archives; I gather even apples aren't a problem unless you have tons
of them nearby? I saw pineapples, bananas & tomatoes mentioned too.
I was just wondering if I should avoid leaving fruit on the counter
beside the orchids, or tomatoes on the same windowsill to ripen...
that kind of thing. My dendrobium drops enough buds already...

Alison

J. Del Col 31-10-2003 12:32 PM

(Alison) wrote in message . com...
I've been wondering if any fruits besides apples give off enough
ethylene to cause bud drop. I read some of the discussion in the
archives; I gather even apples aren't a problem unless you have tons
of them nearby? I saw pineapples, bananas & tomatoes mentioned too.
I was just wondering if I should avoid leaving fruit on the counter
beside the orchids, or tomatoes on the same windowsill to ripen...
that kind of thing. My dendrobium drops enough buds already...

Alison

Forget about the sunny window. Put the fruit in a paper bag--it will ripen
much faster if the ethylene is concentrated in an enclosed space.

That will solve two problems at once.

J. Del Col