GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   masdevallia kinglet (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/46683-masdevallia-kinglet.html)

seaecho 04-11-2003 10:38 PM

masdevallia kinglet

Anybody know anything about this new hybrid? It is supposed to be very warmth tolerant, according to one online seller. Does this mean it can tolerate summer nighttime temps of 75? I'm thinking of ordering one, but here in the high desert of California, it gets very hot in summer, and 75 is about as low as I can get the temp at night. Any suggestions as to what masdie will do well for me? I have a west window, and a small water fountain for humidity (would be placed next to the plant) and I do use pebble trays. I am brand new to this forum. Thank you.

Randi

Kenni Judd 04-11-2003 11:22 PM

masdevallia kinglet

Welcome aboard! Wish I could help you, but here in So. Fla., I can only
wish for summer night temps as low as 75F, so I've never tried any masd.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
s.com...

V_coerulea 05-11-2003 02:32 AM

masdevallia kinglet

I live in SC where summers are about like the temps you describe. I don't
know about the hybrid you're asking about but we do grow Masdevallia
floribunda with great success. It's in almost constant bloom with small
intermissions. It's a rather small plant that puts out a fantastic effort
and show for the minimal care near the cooling pads. For the most part, in
our climate, the cooling pads are humidity pads as they may manage to keep
the temp at 85-90 on some of those searing humid days. They really cool
nicely on that rare occassion that dry weather rolls in. We've had several
Masdevallias that were supposed to be heat tolerant but have lost them. I'm
saying it was definately due to the heat. I'd probably try them again
sometime. I think half the fun in growing something that's not supposed to
grow where you live is the challenge, and the other half is the success.
Gary

s.com...

V_coerulea 06-11-2003 02:02 AM

masdevallia kinglet

Sorry on the previous post. I meant to say that "I'm NOT saying it was
definately due to the heat".
"V_coerulea" wrote in message
[...]

s.com...