Old 10-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Ben Durbin

Default Ailing Masdevallia - any hope of recovery?

I'm afraid that I've killed my first orchid. I purchased it at an
orchid show in San Francisco last year, and it's been getting steadily
worse ever since. I've taken a few photos of its current state
(www.airpork.com/masdevallia) and I'm wondering if anyone could tell
me whether or not it's beyond hope. If it can be revived, do I need to
just get it back on a regular watering/feeding schedule, or will it
need new medium? I think it's in sphagnum moss now.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give a complete orchid
newbie.

Regards,

Ben
Old 10-11-2003, 12:43 AM
V_coerulea

The leaves look dehydrated either from lack of regular watering generally
with too much heat or lack of roots from overwatering (due to rot). From
your picture background, I also assume you are keeping the plant at room
temp (which of course can vary tremendously) which is generally not good for
masdevallias. They need more humidity and cooler temps than are generally
considered room conditions. From the looks of the plant, it is large enough
to recover if placed in more favorable conditions with watering gradually
brought back up to normal. Don't try a drastic move or you'll probably lose
the plant. If it declines further, you might consider repotting into a
smaller pot, trimming rotted roots and stems.
Gary

news

Old 10-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Eric Hunt

Ben,

Where do you live? Where do you keep the plant? Those are important
questions with answers that will determine the best advice for recovering
the plant.

If you live in the City (SF) - PUT THE PLANT OUTSIDE asap, with no direct
sun. Masdevallias don't like growing indoors for the most part. Outside in
San Francisco is one of their preferred environments.

Awaiting more info...

-Eric in SF

news

Old 10-11-2003, 03:02 AM
K Barrett

Ditto what Eric says. If you are in San Fran, or actually just about
anywhere in the Bay Area now that winter's here. Put it outside, out of
direct sun. Just keep it moist for right now. Don't fertilize it till it
perks up. Tell us the general area where you live and we can go from there.

K Barrett
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Ben,

Where do you live? Where do you keep the plant? Those are important
questions with answers that will determine the best advice for recovering
the plant.

If you live in the City (SF) - PUT THE PLANT OUTSIDE asap, with no direct
sun. Masdevallias don't like growing indoors for the most part. Outside in
San Francisco is one of their preferred environments.

Awaiting more info...

-Eric in SF

news

Old 10-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Andrew

Ben Durbin wrote in message . ..
I'm afraid that I've killed my first orchid. I purchased it at an
orchid show in San Francisco last year, and it's been getting steadily
worse ever since. I've taken a few photos of its current state
(www.airpork.com/masdevallia) and I'm wondering if anyone could tell
me whether or not it's beyond hope. If it can be revived, do I need to
just get it back on a regular watering/feeding schedule, or will it
need new medium? I think it's in sphagnum moss now.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give a complete orchid
newbie.

Regards,

Ben

Given that some leaves are growing well while others are collapsing
check the roots. Consider replacing the mix. Sphagnum is great for
masdevallia but it generally needs replacing yearly (adding shredded
polystyrene or perlite can extend the life of the mix a little). Some
growers also pack the sphagnum very tightly and if you don't realise
this its very easy to over water and rot the roots. I had this problem
recently with a coccinea. It lost all of its rots and had only a two
leaves left. After repotting it's bouncing back strongly. So long as
you can give it the right conditions I'd say you have a very good
chance of it recovering. Expect to lose more leaves in the process but
it should eventually come good.
Andrew

Recovery from Heron Attack??? Gary Ponds 26 23-05-2004 06:03 PM
Need recovery! alabbe0405 Orchids 3 24-04-2004 08:02 PM
Hurricane Recovery Help Please - I'm stumped royroy Gardening 2 28-09-2003 06:02 AM
Oak recovery Mike Prager Gardening 6 23-09-2003 03:06 AM
amazing recovery Ted Byers Orchids 2 21-03-2003 12:56 PM