Old 12-11-2003, 05:32 AM
Wendy

Default What does ssp mean?

What does ssp mean on a tag? eg.
Angraecum eburneum ssp giryamae
Cheers Wendy

Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Dewitt

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:31:46 -0800, "Wendy" wrote:

What does ssp mean on a tag? eg.
Angraecum eburneum ssp giryamae
Cheers Wendy

Subspecies, I believe.

deg

Old 12-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Wendy

Thanks much Phil, so in this case does it mean that "giryamae" is like
"eburneum" but not quite?
Cheers Wendy
"Phil Diamond" wrote in message
du.au...
In rec.gardens.orchids you write:

Subspecies; Cordially, Phil

Old 12-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Wendy,

I think it happens when the eburneum mutates a bit. Sometimes you see var.
also used this way.

The taxonomists get a big laugh out of screwing with us and changing names.
I find that sometimes when a grower labels plants they get lazy and may even
list the plant by its subspecies name, for example, Angraecum eburneum ssp
giryamae may appear as Angcm. giryamae. This happened recently with a plant
I purchased labeled Angcm. longicalar. I have found it listed as Angraecum
eburnum var. longicalar and Angraecum eburneum ssp. superbum var.
longicalar.

Curses on them taxonmists!

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Mick Fournier

Super Size Price... like they do at McDonalds when you supersize your combo
order.

Mick

Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Wendy

Thanks ever so much Gene, my question makes sense to me now, (stupid sense).
I was given a couple of pseudo bulbs of Angraecum giryamae & upon
researching,
found the Angcm. eburneum ssp giryamae?
I already have Angcm. eburneum in spike but it will take a while to compare
the two?
I hope the Tax guys give reasons for their name changes etc?
Why do they do this?
Thanks again,
Cheers Wendy
link.net...

Old 13-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Gene Schurg

Wendy,

Pseudobulbs of an Angraecum? I don't think Angraecums grow pseudobulbs.
They are monopodial (I think that's the right term...if not I'm sure someone
will correct me). They grow like vandas and phalaenopsis and may keiki
along the stem and from the base of the plant.

If you have real pseudobulbs then I wonder what plant you really have?

Good growing,
Gene

Old 13-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Wendy

Oops! I was thinking of another plant that I had just mounted on cork. You
are
correct, I have a large pup of Angraecum giryamae.
Apparently this one is slightly different to the other subspecies.
The stud plant cost my friend $500 & there he was cutting away with a razor
blade!!
For me! It pays to have good friends.
Cheers Wendy
hlink.net...