Old 20-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Matt Bristol

Default Earwigs

Thanks for the tip! I reall hate seeing those nasty thing every time I
water.

-Matt

Old 20-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Matt,

Just one thing to add: it's not usually a good idea to dunk multiple plants
in the same solution, as diseases are easily spread that way. Pour the
stuff through instead.

Diana

. ..

Old 20-11-2003, 11:33 PM
Susan Jeffrey

Diana,
I know I'm new here, but I would like to disagree with you anyhow, in a
friendly way. I'm a virologist. It's very easy to spread diseases by
using pruners without sterilizing because you are making direct contact
with infected tissues of one plant and then direct contact with tissue
on another. While it is *possible* to transmit virus/fungi/bacteria by
using a common 2 gallon dunk, it is highly unlikely. I wouldn't advise
dunking a plant with a festering bacterial wilt, but for the most part
dunking relatively healthy plants is safe. I think there are every day
practices we all do that are much more dangerous - like crowding our
plants and touching them with our hands without washing between each one...
Sue Jeffrey

Old 21-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Ted Byers

"Susan Jeffrey" wrote in message ...
Diana,
I know I'm new here, but I would like to disagree with you anyhow, in a friendly way. I'm a virologist. It's
Since you are a virologist, let me ask you this. Is it true that garlic has the ability to kill viruses, as I hae heard? If so, is that something we can exploit in taking care of ornamental plants?

Cheers,

Ted
Old 21-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Susan Jeffrey

Ted -
I'm a virologist that works in a pharmaceutical company. I'm kinda not
the "natural" type. Although natural products have yeilded many great
drugs as a starting place, most naturally derived drugs have been
modified by bunches of chemists. I am pretty biased against saying that
garlic would have much of an effect - but then again, if you don't mind
the odor, I cannot imagine it would do harm. And it wouldn't do much
more than possibly offer some protection. Once a virus is in the cells
of the plant, garlic juice would have no effect. Viruses are pretty hard
to kill since they are so similar to the genetic material in the thing
you are trying to save (person or plant). Bleach kills them great, so
does lots of things unfortunately most of those same things would do
great harm to the plant (or person) you are trying to save. One of my
biggest frustrations (or dreams maybe) is that we are finally able to
actually treat and cure viruses in people, and yet - since there isn't a
huge profit involved - there aren't many ways of saving a virally
infected plant. I do hope that GMO technology gets to orchids - and that
would make it fairly easy to at least make them resistant to many viruses.
Sue

Old 21-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Ray

Hard to argue with that, Sue, but there are too many potential "lesions"
associated with insect-infested plants for me to want to risk it.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Diana Kulaga

Dear Sue,

While I will surely defer to your credentials, I do not think that the risk
is worth it. If you talk to any experienced grower, he or she will tell you
that, even absent obvious symptoms, a virus may be present. Why would one
take that chance?

As to unsterilized pruning implements, I don't believe that anyone who has
grown orchids for any length of time would take that risk, either.

It only takes one symptomless, yet infected plant to wreak havoc.

Diana

Old 26-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Susan Jeffrey

Hi Matt -
When I bring my orchids in at the end of the summer I dunk them all in
Bug-B-Gone (yeah, good ole bug b gone!) I get the concentrate, make up a
couple of gallons at 1X strength, put it in a lagre rubbermaid container
and dunk each plant top and bottom so that I saturate the medium. I
leave the out for one more watering and then they come in. This has
saved me from numerous creatures, not least of all, earwhigs.
eeeeeeeeewwwwwwww.
If you treat your plants, make sure you use enough stuff to saturate the
medium where they hide. I'm not sure if a spray method would work too well.
Sue

Matt Bristol wrote:

Ever since I had my orchids out this summer (mostly catts, some phals and
onc.) I've had a problem with earwigs taking up residence in the potting
medium (bark, perlite, peat mix for most). The come crawling out of the
bark whenever I water. I assume they are munching on the bark, but fear
they might be making a feast of the roots as well. Is there an insecticide
that would not kill the roots but effectively rid me of these disgusting
little bugs?

Matt

systemic for earwigs and rust Me Roses 3 19-05-2003 03:08 PM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
Peanut Oil to Battle Earwigs? Fleemo Gardening 6 01-05-2003 08:56 PM
Earwigs on my Lemon Tree Chris Warr Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Earwigs arien Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:33 AM