Old 21-11-2003, 11:22 AM
sneff

Default Going to fist Orchid Show- need suggestions!!

--SNIP

2. If you fall in love with a plant, _pick it up and buy it_. I can't

tell
you how many times people have come back for a plant they saw on my tables
earlier in a show, only to find it gone.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Kenni,

I could not agree with you more.

TS, this would have to be one of the biggest traps for the new show visitor.
The overwhelmingly large layout of plants can be disorientating, and when
you see a plant you like, the first thought that pops into the neophyte show
buyer's head is; "Gosh, there must be even *better* plants at the next
table."

Do Not do this. Grab the plant *when* you first see it, as you can be sure
it will be gone when you pass by the table an hour later. This has happened
to me more times than I would care to mention.

Some vendors will give you a small grace period, putting aside a plant for
15 minutes or so while you have a look around, but then again, some (quite
fairly) will not do this. You can only ask.

The moral - if you love it - grab it then and there, for the disappointment
of losing that gem isn't worth the heartache.

Best, Matthew.

Old 21-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Reka

"Diana Kulaga" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
link.net...
Take money.

Take even more money.
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:03:56 +1100, "Bolero"
One thing I will suggest is that if you buy plants that have already
flowered then there might be a good reason why the seller is gettting rid of
them. For instance the flower quality or colour may be poor.

I always suggest only buying unflowered seedling or compots or flasks if
possible.

Seedlings in your situation would be the way to go.

I have no idea where Bolero lives and buys -
But in the Midwest and any vendor I have met in the US sells his
best plants to growers who will go out and brag "I got this from
Oak Hill or Natts or where ever" This is the BEST advertising
you can get as a vendor.
As a new grower you are not experienced enough or patient enough
to use flasks and compots as a reward for your effort. Yes some
people buy this way. IT is a 'pig in a poke' method of shopping.
If I want a plant I want to see what I am getting. There is
enough variance in what I can make that plant produce in flowers
and what it will do in the vendors gh. I have often gotten less
than happy results when I bought a seedling of a known cross.
After all - seedlings are each different and individual. Only
when you see it bloom will you know which particular seedling is
the best over its siblings.

As to prices, generally the prices are the catalog - generalities
are made to be broken. Some vendors will pick a plant or group
for 'show special' but at least you do not have to pay shipping
and you see the plant you are buying.

ENJOY! Have a orchi-holic time. The sheer volume of plants in a
limited space and the traffic will make you feel rushed. Calm
consideration is difficult to create and necessary to get the
most for your growing enjoyment. Remember this will not be your
last chance even for the vendors far from you. Look at it as a
chance to meet and judge for yourself their stock and their
style.

SuE

Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
TS

In article , Susan Erickson
wrote:

[...]

Yea, I really dont have enough patience to wait years for a flower to be
ready to bloom. I just dont even have the ability to look so far into
the future. Which is not to say that i would not buy "younger" plants
that are a year or so away from bloom, and put them under my lights.
What I generally like to buy are plants in spike, but not in bloom- or
just starting to bloom. I am hoping to be able to bring home a few real
nice, spiked beauties, along with some smaller, or "on special" plants.
Still not sure what I really want, so I am sure i will go back a few
times over the course of the weekend. I do know I will be overwelmed by
the selections, even though I do buy most of my orchids from a grower
with a huge greenhouse...
Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Bolero

Well buy what you like. I buy seedlings and have hundreds of them, it's the
best way to get a prize plant.

Regardless of where I buy, all the people I know only buy seedlings, it's
hard to buy a show winner in spike, it either costs a fortune or it's not
really a show winner.

I gave my advice and to say it takes years to flower seedlings is a load of
rubbish. Whilst I do buy flasks and compots I also buy seedlings that are
only a year away from flowering for the first time.

If you don't have much space then buy plants in flower but like I said,
individuals selling plants in flower are selling for a reason.

'pig in a poke method'?? It's the only method in my opinion.

All the growers where I live have huge greenhouses.

Bolero

Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Diana Kulaga

FWIW, when I was new to this addiction I bought lots of seedlings, some of
which have been successful and others of which have been a total waste of
space. I have compot babies out in the lanai which will be years in the
making. I disagree that one can't find award quality plants that are
already either blooming size or even already in bloom.

Use a discerning eye, if awards matter to you. But, it's more likely that
you simply want to be happy with your choices, so pick what you love and
damn the torpedos.

Diana

Old 26-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:53:10 -0500, TShnnn
wrote:

This weekend near my house is an Orchid Show. It is an AOS show for the
state at a local mall.
I was thinking maybe I should get there early the first day- to get a
selection of the best orchids, then return on the last day- maybe for
some bargains from people who still have some left.
I have been collecting for a couple of years and have 20-30 orchids. I
grow them under a 400 watt MH in my basement, and let them bloom in a
bow window in my living room. I want to buy a few nice additions this
weekend.
Any suggestions for a first timer would be greatly appreciated!

What are you growing now? What intrigues you?
Are you interested in species, or Catt hybrids, or ??
We need more guidance to give you suggestions.
Although I will say there is merit in your plan for a couple of
visits. Remember to buy 'what you can not live with out' on the
first trip. But often there will be specials during the last
hour or two. Are you a member of the OS putting the show
together? You could assist during setup and get to know some of
the vendors too.

SuE
Old 26-11-2003, 05:13 PM
tennis maynard

TShnnn wrote:

This weekend near my house is an Orchid Show. It is an AOS show for the
state at a local mall.
I was thinking maybe I should get there early the first day- to get a
selection of the best orchids, then return on the last day- maybe for
some bargains from people who still have some left.
I have been collecting for a couple of years and have 20-30 orchids. I
grow them under a 400 watt MH in my basement, and let them bloom in a
bow window in my living room. I want to buy a few nice additions this
weekend.
Any suggestions for a first timer would be greatly appreciated!

Take out a mortgage and get it in cash. Rent a truck. Then go wild
buying!!! You're going to end up doing it over the long haul anyway; why
not just get it over with now??!!