Old 20-11-2003, 05:00 PM
TS

Default Going to fist Orchid Show- need suggestions!!

In article , Susan Erickson
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:53:10 -0500, TShnnn
wrote:

This weekend near my house is an Orchid Show. It is an AOS show for the
state at a local mall.
I was thinking maybe I should get there early the first day- to get a
selection of the best orchids, then return on the last day- maybe for
some bargains from people who still have some left.
I have been collecting for a couple of years and have 20-30 orchids. I
grow them under a 400 watt MH in my basement, and let them bloom in a
bow window in my living room. I want to buy a few nice additions this
weekend.
Any suggestions for a first timer would be greatly appreciated!

What are you growing now? What intrigues you?
Are you interested in species, or Catt hybrids, or ??
We need more guidance to give you suggestions.
Although I will say there is merit in your plan for a couple of
visits. Remember to buy 'what you can not live with out' on the
first trip. But often there will be specials during the last
hour or two. Are you a member of the OS putting the show
together? You could assist during setup and get to know some of
the vendors too.

SuE

Well, I got interested in orchids after a couple of trips to Maui. They
grow everywhere, gas stations, side of the road, restuarants,in the
jungles, etc. When i got back I wanted to keep the mana around, so I
started growing hybiscus, and a few phals i got from Home Depot.
Like most new orchid growers, i had no idea what I was doing, once the
phals lost their bloom, I thought they were dead.
Anyway, after buying more phals, and learning how to re-bloom them, I
became hooked. I also got to know a grower nearby who lets me visit his
greenhouse and purchase plants.

I still love phals, and have quite a few different types, but since I
got my light and grow room set up I have been buying different orchids.
I now have dendrobiums (not really my favorite), paphs, cymbidiums
(awesome plants if I can get them to spike again), oncidiums, brassias,
and few really cool Degarmoras (my new favorite!)

So I guess I would say that I dont need and more phals right now. My
wife loves the paphs- so I probably would like more of them. I would
also like some really cool brassias and Degarmoras if they have some.
Really, I like to grab all different types, ones with incredible
flowers, etc. I know that the denrobiums are nice this time of year- but
I am leary of them since the ones I bought last year have not spiked
again yet.

I am psyched for the show, and will probably spend $100-$200 if my wife
lets me. I do hope to get some REAL nice orchids ready to bloom for my
window, and then maybe some small, young ones I can grow downstairs. I
hope to get some bargains so I can stretch my alotted cash a bit. if
not, I will probably be disappointed and just head back to the
greenhouse to see my commercial grower friend...

Old 20-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Wendy

Hi, Have comfortable shoes & lots of money!
Ask questions, tell the vendor your growing conditions.
Most are pretty good about selling plants that are good for your
environment,
as they want you to buy from them again.
If you have the time, search for info on the net for the society's
show.
They will have a list of vendors & you may be able to see stuff on
their websites. A sneak preview?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 20-11-2003, 05:56 PM
J. Del Col

TShnnn wrote in message ...
This weekend near my house is an Orchid Show. It is an AOS show for the
state at a local mall.
I was thinking maybe I should get there early the first day- to get a
selection of the best orchids, then return on the last day- maybe for
some bargains from people who still have some left.
I have been collecting for a couple of years and have 20-30 orchids. I
grow them under a 400 watt MH in my basement, and let them bloom in a
bow window in my living room. I want to buy a few nice additions this
weekend.
Any suggestions for a first timer would be greatly appreciated!

Leave your credit cards and cash at home.

J. Del Col

Old 20-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Kenni Judd

1. Take a box. Most growers have bags, some have small boxes, but if you
end up buying from several different growers, as most people do, it will be
easier for you to stage the plants for travel if you bring a box of your
own.

2. If you fall in love with a plant, _pick it up and buy it_. I can't tell
you how many times people have come back for a plant they saw on my tables
earlier in a show, only to find it gone. [I am considering plagiarizing a
sign one of my colleague/competitors carries: "I shoulda bought it when I
saw it."] In some cases, I have more back at the ranch [which can be a long
trip depending on the grower and the location of the show, but I've had
people do that several times, a couple of them driving 3-4 hours]; other
times, that was truly _the last one_, and there's nothing I can do for them.

3. Bring cash as well as checks or credit cards. Some small growers and
some of the foreign growers don't accept the latter at all, and all of us
appreciate cash [credit cards cost us a percentage, checks have to be
processed and cleared]. Plus if you take your budget in cash, you'll know
when you've spent it.

4. Bargains are great if they are _really_ bargains. But generally
speaking, if a plant is priced well below its market value, there's a
reason. With the foreign growers, it's usually the cost of shipping the
plants back home, and not a problem or defect in the plant. But a
professional domestic grower [one who's growing for a living, not just
supporting his or her hobby] can't afford to give away quality plants just
to avoid the inconvenience of carrying them home. So during your
bargain-hunting, _ask_ the grower why the plant is reduced in price.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 21-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

You mentioned cool brassias. I'm not formiliar with cool brassias. I know
brassias as intermediate growing plants some even a bit warm. Most liking a
nice breeze but never heard of cool growers.
Cheers
Peter

"TS" schreef in bericht

Old 21-11-2003, 03:22 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:03:48
+0100, "Boystrup Pb, ann,..."
did speak the following bit of wisdom:

You mentioned cool brassias. I'm not formiliar with cool brassias. I know
brassias as intermediate growing plants some even a bit warm. Most liking a
nice breeze but never heard of cool growers.

I take it the OP meant "cool" as in "Wow Man! Way cool plants!" and
not as in reference to temperatures the plants like to grow at. HTH...

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Old 21-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Bolero

Hmmmmmmm if this is your first show........then it might be a good idea not
to go........I mean you will definately buy more than you plan
too.........then you will get them home and won't know what to do.

One thing I will suggest is that if you buy plants that have already
flowered then there might be a good reason why the seller is gettting rid of
them. For instance the flower quality or colour may be poor.

I always suggest only buying unflowered seedling or compots or flasks if
possible.

Seedlings in your situation would be the way to go.