Old 20-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Default Physan

Gareth Wills advises that Physan is easy to get.
I have searched the UK pages of google without success.
Can anyone assist me in tracking down a source in the UK?
Thanks in anticipation,
Gordon.
Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
V_coerulea

Sorry for the narrow-minded use of "easy to get" as in the US. The main
active ingredient in Physan is Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride, and
the other is Alkyl Dimethylethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride.
http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/691/shopscr84.html is a pool supply place in
the UK which sells a copper free algicide 21 containing one of the same main
components as Physan. This same product (different name) is sold in the US
as a pool algicide. We have used it in our swamp coolers, on all greenhouse
surfaces and on orchids (although it is not labelled for such) with the same
effect as Physan at a fraction of the cost. It does wonders for powdery
mildew on roses in the greenhouse and even botrytis during our cool damp
winters. I cannot document any proof, but we have not observed any
detrimental effects on any of our orchids or tropicals including hibiscus.
Make sure you purchase the copper-free algicide as copper is, of course,
quite toxic. I have also experimented with it on lettuce and some other
edibles being hit with botrytis and found it effective. My logic is that
you will consume a lot more of the product in swimming than from the plant.
I've not done any extensive research on how the plant may or may not change
the product in its decomposition but have found nothing so far to indicate
that there is any possible danger. Otherwise, I'd suggest that if you cannot
find Physan or RD-20 or Greenshield (all the same thing), than go ahead and
try the pool product. The copper-free product should be quite safe. It has
been for me.
Gareth Wills
s.com...
--
gogs1
Gordon

Old 23-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

Quote:
Originally posted by V_coerulea
[...]
s.com...
Old 23-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

Quote:
Originally posted by gogs1
Gareth thank you for your very detailed reply.
Gordon.

BT and physan Dustin Orchids 4 14-07-2004 03:03 PM
PHYSAN Dada Orchids 9 17-04-2004 07:45 PM
Physan & Orthene Q Diana Kulaga Orchids 9 22-03-2004 12:12 AM
Physan & Orthene Q Diana Kulaga Orchids 0 20-03-2004 11:15 PM
start with something like physan or maybe a weak frank mitch newton bleach mix. fmn2 Orchids 0 09-08-2003 06:32 PM