Old 22-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Shell91

Default 2 Questions

1. Can someone explain to me exactly what flasks are?

2. If one buys an orchid "cutting" I am assuming it would have to be
rooted? And would take several years to bloom?

Shell

Old 22-11-2003, 09:43 PM
tbell

A flask is like the glass flasks you used in chemistry classes,
providing a sterile environment for orchid seeds growing in a nutrient
medium similar to a bacterial culture plate. When the plantlets are large
enough, they have to be "deflasked" into compots, or pots holding a
community of small seedlings.
The term "orchid cutting" would likely refer to a division of a rhizome
with at least 2 or 3 pseudobulbs and their roots, usually the back end of a
mature plant whose rhizome is growing forward. When planted and tended well,
it should wake up and put forward new growths, which might bloom in a year
or two.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Old 22-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Shell91

Thanks. I have noticed several flasks being offered on ebay and wondered
whether or not it would be worthwile to get one. I don't think I'm quite
ready for that

The cuttings I saw on ebay seemed to be just a section of stem, no
pseudobulbs at all. Also probably not something I should buy

Shell

Old 22-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Mick Fournier

Shell,

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...asks/flask.jpg

Mick

HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

Old 22-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Shell91

Thanks for the picture.
I think before I try a flask I better get good at growing orchids already in
a pot

Shell

Old 23-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Dewitt

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:39:35 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

The cuttings I saw on ebay seemed to be just a section of stem, no
pseudobulbs at all. Also probably not something I should buy

A few orchids such as Ludisia discolor do grow from cuttings. It
happens to be fairly easy to grow from cuttings and, unlike most
orchids, is grown primarily for the foliage.

deg

Old 23-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:39:35 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote in Message-Id:
m:

The cuttings I saw on ebay seemed to be just a section of stem, no
pseudobulbs at all. Also probably not something I should buy

Can you provide a URL to those auctions?
Old 24-11-2003, 02:02 AM
V_coerulea

Some monopodials, particularly vandas, are frequently sold as cuttings and
may or may not have roots. After a short time in good vanda conditions,
roots begin to show and then grow rapidly. Also, once you start buying
flasks (and it's as addictive as any other part of orchid growing), you
better start adding the new wing on the house, or plan to build your first,
soon-to-be-outgrown greenhouse. On the plus side, one flask can give you
20-50 or more seedlings or meristems to grow and trade with others for a
rapidly expanding collection (see previous sentence).
Gary

y.com...

Old 24-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Shell

Hi
Sorry, I had a major computer meltdown courtest of the worm_nachi.a and ahd
to do a complete factory restore on my computer. I lost the URLs for the
auctions but I remember the cuttings came from Grow Hawaii and another
source I can't remember, In the picture it just looked like a stem.

Shell

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:39:35 GMT, "Shell91"
m:

Old 24-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Shell

Hi
I may try out a flask one day soon then. Got to get a stock of pots first

Shell

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Some monopodials, particularly vandas, are frequently sold as cuttings and
may or may not have roots. After a short time in good vanda conditions,
roots begin to show and then grow rapidly. Also, once you start buying
flasks (and it's as addictive as any other part of orchid growing), you
better start adding the new wing on the house, or plan to build your

first,
soon-to-be-outgrown greenhouse. On the plus side, one flask can give you
20-50 or more seedlings or meristems to grow and trade with others for a
rapidly expanding collection (see previous sentence).
Gary

y.com...

Old 24-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Myrmecodia

"Shell" wrote in message m...
Hi
Sorry, I had a major computer meltdown courtest of the worm_nachi.a and ahd
to do a complete factory restore on my computer. I lost the URLs for the
auctions but I remember the cuttings came from Grow Hawaii and another
source I can't remember, In the picture it just looked like a stem.

Were they vanilla orchids, by any chance? Vanilla species are large
epiphytic vines, and they are often sold as bare-root stem cuttings.

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com