Old 23-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Vanda Root Generation

All,

I have a couple of Vandas that have grown into "palm trees" (these were
early victims of not enough fertilizer). The tops are healthy, and so are
the root systems, but tops and roots are too far apart! I'd like to be able
to top these two.

Anyone have a good idea about generating roots up higher on the stem? I'm
hesitant to air layer, lest I kill 'em.

All thoughts appreciated!

Diana

Old 24-11-2003, 02:14 AM
V_coerulea

I'd wait for steady warmer weather. Then peal off a bunch of the woody old
leaf bases that can hinder root emergence if they stay too dry. Keep humid
and you shouldn't have any trouble producing roots high enough up to then
cut the plant off and repot. I've taken rootless cuttings 12-18", pealed off
the lowest leaves and hung them over a mist table where some other tropicals
were rooting. Wonderful roots in 2 weeks!
Gary

link.net...

Old 24-11-2003, 03:17 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:05:18 GMT, "V_coerulea"
wrote:

I'd wait for steady warmer weather. Then peal off a bunch of the woody old
leaf bases that can hinder root emergence if they stay too dry. Keep humid
and you shouldn't have any trouble producing roots high enough up to then
cut the plant off and repot. I've taken rootless cuttings 12-18", pealed off
the lowest leaves and hung them over a mist table where some other tropicals
were rooting. Wonderful roots in 2 weeks!
Gary

Then pick a friend and give them the headless vanda. IT probably
will keiki. The new growth will use mom's roots for a while
until it gets strong enough to want roots of its own. Once it
starts rooting cut it and pot it up. Took me 18 months on one I
rescued from some ones trash heap. The first keiki bloomed still
attached to the mother plant.
Now I have a 1 inch long new growth started on that old headless
wonder. The original plant has 2 leaves and a good root system.
It has now produced 3 plants, the original top and 2 keikis.
I throw a bit of spanish moss all over to help preserve humidity
near the plant. (At least that was my theory when I did it.)

SuE

Old 24-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Ray

I "dealt with" a similar vanda this summer - it only had two, 12" roots up
near the leaves, but chop away I did. It was really curvy too, from
neglect. Now, suspended from a wire with no container at all, the two
roots ore twice as long, and a third is on the way.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 24-11-2003, 02:13 PM
TRAINMAN9

All,

I have a couple of Vandas that have grown into "palm trees" (these were
early victims of not enough fertilizer). The tops are healthy, and so are
the root systems, but tops and roots are too far apart! I'd like to be able
to top these two.

Anyone have a good idea about generating roots up higher on the stem? I'm
hesitant to air layer, lest I kill 'em.

All thoughts appreciated!

Diana

The following method is one we have used for years and does not require that
you cut away the top until new roots have formed.

The easiest way is to get a quart size plastic sandwich bag. Cut the bag open
on the sides and bottom. Using moist NZ spagnum moss wrap it around the stem of
the vanda. Put the plastic bag around the spagnum and secure with plastic ties.
Leave a small opening at the top and bottom so that you can keep the spagnum
moist.

Within a few weeks you should see roots develop. When the bag is filled with
roots cut the stem below the bag and repot either in a basket filled with
medium charcoal or you medium of choice.

By using this method you do not risk the chance of killing the plant.

The remaining stem and old roots might form a keiki so try to keep it moist and
see what happens.

Old 24-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, everyone! Good ideas. I had considered the spag/bag idea but
didn't think it would work without cutting into the plant. Going to give a
try tomorrow.

Diana

Old 11-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Traveler

Vanda are faulous plants

Does any one grow Disa in Europan town centrums or perhaps the
hobbyists? any link or eamils would be greatly appreciated,(to the
list!)

LT
(loooooooooooooooooone.....................LEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE}

Time to get
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bye