Old 26-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Shell

Default New Orchids

I think I can grow the cool growers because my house is usually just a shade
warmer than a meat locker I was born and raised in the southwest but my
genes are definitely far north. I'm worried about the warm growers doing
well. I broke down and bought a few new orchids (somebody stop me ) a
Catt. bicolor, and a flask (my first) of a hybrid C. Angelwalker x Slc.
India Rose Sherwood.

Shell

"K Barrett" wrote in message
newsTWwb.310098$Fm2.328176@attbi_s04...

"Shell" wrote in message
. com...
It's nice to see Catts will forgive you for forgetting to water I

like
some of the more unusual and strange flowers as well. Science fiction

and
space stuff is high on my list of favorite things If they were

looking
for colonists to mars I woud be one of the first in line.

I think when a flower stays "too long" it ceases to be interesting for
itself and becomes a backdrop for other things. I like my Restrepia

because
the flowers are short lived but it blooms frequently. I just wish the
flowers were a bit larger

Shell

I envy your ability to grow such cool growers! Alas I cannot grow them.
Probably because I do not water. LOL!! I fell in love with

Scaphosepalums.
(ram's head orchids) and have quite a few of their tags in my 'dead orchid
pot'. (I stick the name tags of all the orchids I've killed in a pot in

the
GH. So far its overfilling a 3"pot. That doesn't sound so big until you
actuall try to stuff tags into a 3" pot.. then you see how big it is,

*G*!)
One of these days I'll be able to grow them

K Barrett

Old 26-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Shell

I love Paphs I just haven't bought one yet. I've been looking at your
website and it's beautiful.

Shell

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:45:17 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Bottom line: I think we are fickle, us orchid growers. There must be
people who grow only certain types of orchids, but I imagine that most of

us
like variety. And, we're suckers for something new!

Diana

How can you say that John has been growing paph's I could see no
value in for 30 years. I have a 24" tall bifoliate catt. But my
epi collection has faded over the years. The brassias are still
going strong. And I refuse to tell you how many ascda's I have.
But lets just say the upper story used to be full sized hybrid
catts (You know - Like Wendy7 grows) but now there are only 3 I
think. And if I had not gotten sidetracked by the bulbos and
cirr's I might have fallen for Johns phrags and a few of his
paphs. I do like Paph Honey. And I abosolutely adore the
Madagascar whites. I think that covers it all.
... LOL...

SuE

Old 26-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Shell

There's nothing wrong with long lasting blooms, they just tend to become
backgrounds for other things fairly quickly. I count blooms with my
Amaryllis It averages 25 - 30 twice a year and even more if we have a
relly wet year.

Shell

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Part of me feels like I ought to defend long-lasting Phals: I find their
enduring beauty somewhat surreal and awe-inspiring. And I feel guilty over
not being appreciative enough of my Phal Zuma Confection that bloomed for
five months, most of it without changing. But alas, I too prefered

activity.
However, even among Phals and Dtps some are more active than others: I
really appreciate sequential bloomers. My very favorite a semi-peloric

Dtps
Talitha Gem has been blooming for four months, but it looks completely
different now than it did to begin with! At first it had a spike going
straight up with up to 15 flowers at once. Then its older flowers started
falling off as new ones opened, and its like a clump of flowers moving
steadily further toward the window ... up the spike, then down (as the

spike
curved under its own weight), now up again. I keep counting and recounting
how many flowers it lost, how many are currently in bloom and how many new
buds are forming ... no, it's not done yet forming new buds, it's up to a
total of 20 former flowers, 7 currently in bloom, and at least 6 buds
remaining, and about 4 feet of spike. I have not had a boring week with

this
plant. :-)

So even a Phal or Dtps can be very exiting.

Joanna

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message

As for longevity, my Phals provide a long lasting background for more
transient flowers. Recently, I cut off two or three old, but still

blooming
spikes on Phals because the plants were throwing off new spikes and

needed
bit of a rest.

Old 26-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Shell

Certain color combinations and blooms that look what I call messy or busy,
like fabric with too much pattern, and anything that looks like a clown face
can stay at the store

Shell

"Wendy" wrote in message
I like them all......ugly, hairy, bumpy, smelly, all the colours & shapes.
Orchids
have the most amazing flowers of any plant.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 26-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Shell

I like things that are more unusual or even just less common mostly because
I don't like following the crowd I think. If everyone and thier brother are
buying Oncidiums I'll be out there looking for a Restrepia or a Stanhopia.
I think the search is almost as fun as owning that hard to find species.

Shell

"agnatha3141" wrote in message
s.com...
agnatha3141 wrote:
*Just wondering what makes
others buy a particular orchid

Shell *

i sometimes wonder also how many people like me try to find the ones
that most people call ugly and hard to care for. i am also extremely
partial to buying several different strange genera at once, so that
really hardcore orchid people will say "wow youve heard of pescatorea"
and think that i know a lot. the truth is, when you buy a bunch of
crazy genera that only grow in the cloud forests of ecuador, or in one
small part of madagascar, you forget simple things like not watering a
phal before nightfall, and you (or at least i) lose sight of how really
pretty the more "common" orchids are. so every once in a while i buy a
phal or cattleya at the local grocery store to rekindle my attraction
to them. [/b]
--
agnatha3141

Old 26-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Al

Many people look passed the variety in any given genus that is possible.
With regard to collecting, they mentally group like kind and dismiss subtle
differences. Fortunately a long time ago, by employing immense
diversification of form, orchids as a family outsmarted many people and
paved the way for addiction by uniqueness. If 'people' as a group also
included some individuals who had wings and some who had hooves and tails
then nobody would notice skin color or eye shape as unique and different.

The new orchid grower, after they get one or two "standard" Phals goes
hunting for something "new" and they look not for another Phal that has
different characteristics but for something that is not a Phal.

New and experienced orchid growers alike tend to group according to general
form and, unless they specialize, tend to collect small numbers of like kind
from across a zillion different genuses.

The orchids have already won weather a collector specializes in one genus
and marvels in the subtlties or collects from across a wide range of genuses
and marvels at the uniqueness. They have tricked us into giving them whole
rooms of our homes just by growing warts and hairs in odd places.

Old 26-11-2003, 04:32 PM
K Barrett

That cross sounds interesting. The India Rose Sherwood parent has one award
('Lincoln' HCC 79) and the description of the flower sounds very
interesting: 6 full star shaped flowers well held on one upright
inflorescence; flowers slightly cupped; sepals and petals rich deep cardinal
red; lip dark cherry red with yellow-orange side lobes, striped and suffused
with paler cherry red; texture glistening; substance heavy; lip cut as in
Slc. Naomi Kerns. (The cross is Slc. Naomi Kerns x C. Chocolate Drop). By
any chance was the source Gold Country Orchids?

What sounds good to me is the description that the inflorescence is upright
and flowers well held. I'm gettign sick of floppy spikes. (But that could
also be due to my poor motherhood.) I like a flower that stands right up and
looks you on the eye. George King 'Serendipity' always does that (for me
anyway). Its about as bulletproof as you can get.

K Barrett

.com...

Old 26-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Shell

Here's the URL for the ebay auction I bought. It has a picture of both
parents. It also seemed to be a fairly reasonable price and the seller
sends instructions too, which is a big selling point in my book

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=25 463&rd=1

The seller is Evolution Orchids in Florida

Shell

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

.com...

Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Unefer1

Greetings ,
A very good friend of mine and myself traded some orchids, and in this deal
I recived some unknown Bulbophyllum species (we think it may be Bulbo.
lepidum)
Not being very knowledgable about Bulbo's , I mounted it on a branch that I
first covered with sphagnum moss , from there I wired the plants to the
branch , I guess the wait is on to see if this works , unless sombody knows
of a better way to grow Bulbo's or what I should do from here on out....
Any info is greatly appreciated
Bright days , & Good growing !
Todd

Old 05-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Dewitt

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:48:39 GMT, "Unefer1"
wrote:

Greetings ,
A very good friend of mine and myself traded some orchids, and in this deal
I recived some unknown Bulbophyllum species (we think it may be Bulbo.
lepidum)
Not being very knowledgable about Bulbo's , I mounted it on a branch that I
first covered with sphagnum moss , from there I wired the plants to the
branch , I guess the wait is on to see if this works , unless sombody knows
of a better way to grow Bulbo's or what I should do from here on out....
Any info is greatly appreciated
Bright days , & Good growing !
Todd

The general rule for bulbos is warm, bright shade, and wet. Mounting
is great as long as you can supply enough moisture - likely daily or
more frequently. I've had good luck with planting them in baskets
with sphagnum.

deg