Old 26-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Registered User

Location: florida, usa
Default hair instead of sphagnum?

so, tell me if this is weird, because i am kind of new to orchids.
one of the local vendors here in florida is using human hair to pot orchids in. this seems so strange. has anyone heard of it?
Old 26-11-2003, 05:42 AM
K Barrett

Yeuwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

K Barrett

s.com...
--
agnatha3141

Old 26-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:06:18 GMT, agnatha3141
wrote:

so, tell me if this is weird, because i am kind of new to orchids.
one of the local vendors here in florida is using human hair to pot
orchids in. this seems so strange. has anyone heard of it?

Only as a 'fertilizer for roses.' My mother-in-law used to
collect hair to put on her roses. When she had a hairdresser she
trusted, she would ask for the waste clippings for the day - or
week. Other wise it was natural fall from anyone close to her
collection bag.

But I have never heard of anyone using it on any other plant.
SuE
Old 26-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Shell

I'm with you. Sounds a bit on the weird side, a bit too weird for me.

Shell

newsZWwb.310133$Fm2.328325@attbi_s04...

Old 26-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Wendy

Ugh! My 1st thought was......where does he get all the hair from?
2nd thought.....maybe he is a Mortician?
3rd .......Aha! A beauty salon?
Shampoo, could be used in the water to flush every once in a while. *g*
Then I wondered how the ground up tires experiment is going?
Anybody????
--
Cheers Wendy (Who needs another cup o' java!)

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 26-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Ray

I recall hearing (reading?) that hair releases a lot of nitrogen as it
decomposes.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 26-11-2003, 04:32 PM
K Barrett

And its supposed to keep deer away.

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
I recall hearing (reading?) that hair releases a lot of nitrogen as it
decomposes.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Wendy" wrote in message
Ugh! My 1st thought was......where does he get all the hair from?
2nd thought.....maybe he is a Mortician?
3rd .......Aha! A beauty salon?
Shampoo, could be used in the water to flush every once in a while. *g*
Then I wondered how the ground up tires experiment is going?
Anybody????
--
Cheers Wendy (Who needs another cup o' java!)

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"agnatha3141" wrote in

message
s.com...

Old 26-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Reka

Well thank, Kath, you solved my biggest problem! Deer eating away at my
orchids on the third floor... ;-Þ
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Ray" wrote in message
I recall hearing (reading?) that hair releases a lot of nitrogen as it
decomposes.

---

Old 26-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Shell

It seems to work well, I've never heard any stories of deer sneaking in to
munch on sleeping campers hair. Now I have heard of large crab species
doing this to the unwary sleeping on the beach.

Isn't nature wonderful

Shell

Old 26-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Aaaccck! Hair! Body snatchers!

Diana

Old 27-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Shell

LOL

Shell

link.net...

Old 27-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:39:42 GMT, "Shell"
wrote:
It seems to work well, I've never heard any stories of deer sneaking in to
munch on sleeping campers hair. Now I have heard of large crab species
doing this to the unwary sleeping on the beach.

Isn't nature wonderful

Shell

Ever notice how many orchid growers are owned by cats (4 legged)?
With the number of cats this group supports, we are more apt to
wake up with a kitten grooming our head than a crab. G
SuE
Old 27-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Shell

I must be in the minority, I have one very spoiled fat and sassy
terrier/dachshund mix dog who answers to the names of Fred, Punkin, Stinky
Baby, Poodle, Lard Bottom, and Wussy Boy And who is jealous of my
computer and my orchids.

Shell

news

Old 28-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Diana Kulaga

Sue, you hit the nail on the head again! Casper the Friendly Ghost usually
sleeps on Frank's side, but when he graces me with his presence (after all,
I do feed him at his predetermined times and places, so once in a while he
deigns to love me), he sleeps on my head and plays with my hair.

Cat tongue on your forehead at 5AM. Oh, yeah!

Diana

Sphagnum moss V_coerulea Orchids 8 29-12-2005 10:15 PM
potting in mosses other than sphagnum Leo Orchids 0 04-06-2004 11:03 AM
sphagnum hazard bb Orchids 30 15-11-2003 07:42 PM
Is New Zealand Sphagnum WAS repotting Andrew Orchids 1 24-06-2003 11:56 AM