Old 27-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Shell

Default Flask and Compot Question

OK, I broke down and bought a flask. It's supposed to have instructions on
how to de-flask and all that when it gets here. Question I have is what
size should the compot be or can I put each seedling in its own 2 1/2 inch
pot? If they really need to be in the same pot how long are they left
there?

Shell

Old 27-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Kenni Judd

This is what we do -- your mileage may vary G.

We buy quart flasks estimated to contain 50+ seedlings. We break the bottle
with a hammer and slide the plantlets, agar and all, into 2 prepared compots
[usually 6" plastic pots] with our seedling mix, which is 50% OFE Seedling
Mix and 50% extrafine charcoal. Fill around the sides and put the compots
back out on the benches.

The compots grow on for anywhere from 6 to 18 months, a year is about
average, before we pot them out into 2" net pots, same mix.

If you bought a "hobby" flask, one of those little ones with 10-12 plants, a
4" compot should be ample, a 3" would probably be better. Unless they are
really _huge_, I wouldn't pot them out individually.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

. ..

Old 27-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Shell

Thanks for the help. The flask I bought is indeed a small hobby flask of
10-15 seedlings. I have a small plastic tub which came from the Chinese
take-out place that I've cut holes in the bottom and a few in the sides.
Would this be an acceptable orchid pot? I have several larger orchids on
the way also and I'm running out of pots since I've started seeds in
everything that I could find.

I will have to take a trip to a nursury to get seedling mix and charcoal and
anything else I might need.

I appreciate any advice and help
Shell

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old 27-11-2003, 11:42 PM
kenty ;-\)

I noticed, five days ago on a post you said you will have to grow orchids
well in a pot before you buy a flask!Have you learnt a lot in five days or
have the orchids won again ;-).They are devils for that.
happy growing
kenty
. ..

Old 28-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Shell

LOL It was the new growth on the orchids that got doused with miracle grow
that did it I figured if I managed to keep them alive I would just go
for it. Besides it was fairly cheap

Shell
(whose motto is "cheap is good but free is better")

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
I noticed, five days ago on a post you said you will have to grow orchids
well in a pot before you buy a flask!Have you learnt a lot in five days or
have the orchids won again ;-).They are devils for that.
happy growing
kenty
. ..

Old 28-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Kenni Judd

Should be fine if it's not too big. Little seedlings have little roots, and
therefore shouldn't be put in too large of a container. You want something
just slightly larger in diameter than the bottom of the flask [I'm assuming
it's a standup].

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
y.com...

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old 28-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Shell

The ad says the flask is a babyfood jar. I have several small pots that
should work. I plan to leave the flask alone until I can get everything
together to open it up.

Shell

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Should be fine if it's not too big. Little seedlings have little roots,

and
therefore shouldn't be put in too large of a container. You want

something
just slightly larger in diameter than the bottom of the flask [I'm

assuming
it's a standup].

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
y.com...

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old 28-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Diana Kulaga

Shell, you're a piece of work, you are! And brave as a Green Beret! I've
been growing our beasties for about 4 years, and last year bought a compot.
The babies are doing well, but it will be years more before they bloom.
Wonder if I have time???

Diana

Old 28-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Shell

LOL Thanks I'll try almost anything at least twice (have to be sure I
like it or not) as long as it's not illegal, immoral, or fattening...Well, I
cheat a bit on the fattening part

Shell

hlink.net...

Old 28-11-2003, 04:23 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 04:20:56 GMT, "Shell" wrote
in Message-Id: :

I broke down and bought a flask. It's supposed to have instructions on
how to de-flask and all that when it gets here.

You'll find very detailed instruction he
http://lab.troymeyers.com/flasking/F...ecid=15&-find=

Old 28-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Shell

Thanks I will check it out

Shell

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 04:20:56 GMT, "Shell" wrote
in Message-Id: :

I broke down and bought a flask. It's supposed to have instructions on
how to de-flask and all that when it gets here.

You'll find very detailed instruction he

http://lab.troymeyers.com/flasking/F...ecid=15&-find=

Deflasking/Compot after Care? sandra Orchids 12 31-07-2005 06:43 PM
Question for those who flask seeds dusty Orchids 5 14-07-2003 02:32 PM
New paph seedlings out of flask Jonathan Phua Orchids 6 01-07-2003 10:32 AM
Flask Phal Hybrids PeterPPL Orchids 0 28-04-2003 12:56 PM
Please help: making flask and medium Thomas Wong Orchids 3 21-03-2003 05:32 PM