Old 28-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Digital Camera Question

All,

Our digital Kodak 260 is now way behind the curve, and we're considering a
new one. Frank did a bunch of research and found the Panasonic DMC-FZ10K
Lumix. 4 mp, zoom up to 12x, and an optical image stabilizer, among other
features. It's priced around $600, which makes puts it in reasonable range
for us.

Anyone familiar with this camera? I'm sure that if we wanted to spend a
fortune there are better ones available, but we'd like to stay in this
range. I'm particularly interested in getting detail so I can photograph
some of the smaller orchids.

Any thoughts welcome.

Diana

Old 28-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Shell

I'm not familiar with this cmera but it sounds like a good deal to me. If
you're looking to do extreme closeups check and see what the minimum
distance lens to object is. I have a Umax Power Cam 3660 that I got on eBay
for right at $300. It will go up to 6mp and has all sorts of settings that
I'm still learning. Regular pictures are set at 3.5mp I think and I can get
within 4 inches of an object for extreme closeups.

The higher the mega pixel the better the quality should you ever want to
have really large prints made of your pictures.

Now if I coud just figure out a way keep my hands from shaking when I'm
trying to take a picture

I really like my digital camera but I still prefer my telephoto lenses and
35mm Pentax that's about 25 years old. I just wish film developing wasn't
so expensive.

Shell

hlink.net...

Old 29-11-2003, 12:26 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Diana Kulaga" writes:
range. I'm particularly interested in getting detail so I can photograph
some of the smaller orchids.

Then you are interested in the optics. What can the optics do in
close-range situations? I have a separate macro button on my digital
camera. You may want to have something similar.

For big prints of an extremely nice flower you want a high
resolution. I have a 4 Mpixel camera. That goes up to about double the
area of the regular prints you get from a 35mm film, then you start
seeing pixels clearly in the print. 10MP or more is needed to do full
A4 prints in good quality.

Also check the price of the memory solutions. How much does it cost to
buy extra storage for this camera compared to others? Digital cameras
are usually equipped with a joke of a storage chip. You will, sooner
or later, buy more storage. If this costs you double the amount you
saved compared to a little more pricey model, then you have still
spent more money than if you had bought the pricier camera with the
less expensive storage.

Geir

Old 29-11-2003, 12:27 AM
tbell

Diana -
I'm not familiar with that one either, though I'd have to ask how much
of that 12x zoom is optical? If that represents 4x optical and 3x digital,
the digital multiplier isn't really useful when it comes to closeups.
I asked for help from the group, too, and came up with either the Sony
F717 or the Nikon Coolpix 5700. I'm very pleased with the latter, which I
bought from an internet dealer for $721 after a $100 mfr.'s rebate. It has a
5 mp sensor and an 8x optical zoom. I have found it a more complex system to
learn than the Sony, but have no other complaints.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Old 29-11-2003, 03:35 AM
K Barrett

Did you compare its pictures side by side with other cameras (and even your
old one) on the 'Amazing Comparometer? Why anyone would consider a purchase
and *not* look at actual images the camera produces is beyond me.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

You'll thank me later.

K Barrett

Old 29-11-2003, 01:02 PM
kenty ;-\)

Look out for the optical & digital ,optical is actually the photo you viewed
& took ,all digital is basically the image zoomed.The higher the optical
lens the better!Also remember that higher mpix wont always give you the
better quality pic.K Barrett is right before you buy look at the quality of
the pics,you will be supprised!
kenty

Old 29-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Jonathan Phua

I heard that the pentax optio 555 is really great. Lets u take really close
macro shots and 3D shots too.

Jon

Old 29-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, everyone. Now some responses from me:

Now if I coud just figure out a way keep my hands from shaking when I'm
trying to take a picture

That's why we like the idea of the optical image stabilizer!

Then you are interested in the optics. What can the optics do in

close-range situations? I have a separate macro button on my digital
camera. You may want to have something similar.

The camera in question has a macro button, along with a bunch of other
optional modes. Or, it can be used as simply point and shoot.

Also check the price of the memory solutions. How much does it cost to

buy extra storage for this camera compared to others? Digital cameras
are usually equipped with a joke of a storage chip

Yeah, I know. Frank checked, and the cost is not prohibitive.

I'm not familiar with that one either, though I'd have to ask how much

of that 12x zoom is optical? If that represents 4x optical and 3x digital,
the digital multiplier isn't really useful when it comes to closeups.

Actually, I underestimated the zoom. The 12x is all optical. Capability
with digital is 36x. Sounds great.

Did you compare its pictures side by side with other cameras (and even your

old one) on the 'Amazing Comparometer? Why anyone would consider a purchase
and *not* look at actual images the camera produces is beyond me.

Thanks for that URL; I was not aware of it. However, this camera isn't up
there yet. Not surprising, since it just came out in October. Frank found
a couple of places where he could view photos taken with it. Pretty grand,
especially compared to our old one, which is 6 or 7 years old.

Look out for the optical & digital ,optical is actually the photo you

viewed
& took ,all digital is basically the image zoomed.The higher the optical
lens the better!Also remember that higher mpix wont always give you the
better quality pic.

It has 4 mp; see above for optical specs.

I heard that the pentax optio 555 is really great. Lets u take really close

macro shots and 3D shots too.

I checked that out as you suggested. It's a neat one, too.

To sum up on my end, as Frank did more checking he found that this model is
jumping off the shelves. Based on what I've seen, I'm not surprised. As I
said originally, I know there are better cameras out there, but we can't
justify the prices. Especially since we need to upgrade one of our
computers, too. My laptop is fine, but our IBM needs replacing. You do the
numbers!

Thanks again, everyone. RGO came through as usual.

Diana