Old 29-11-2003, 03:12 AM

Default Beginner's do's and don'ts

So many orchid growers out there have greenhouses and several
orchids. By this time they know what to do and not to do. For
beginners it's learn by your mistakes, most times the death of the first
orchid they bought. If people post their personal experiences we
newbies will greatly appreciate it. I know now not to treat orchids
like everyday house plants, don't head right for that potting mix and
DON"T overwater. Phal's are easier to grow, Catt's take less water
cause they can store it I guess and there's something about using the
wrong fertilizer can cause an orchid to grow but not bloom. Ochid 101
now in setion-please post your do's and don'ts......Burr

Old 29-11-2003, 03:22 AM
Wendy

Don't bring in newly aquired plants in & mix them with your collection.
Do quarentine them in case of bugs. I do this until it's time to repot.
Don't repot at the wrong time unless it is an emergency. (eg. rotten smelly
mix)
Do stake repotted plants well, they must feel very secure.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 29-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Ray

read this: http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 29-11-2003, 04:34 AM
K Barrett

Don't buy more than you can care for.

Don't worry if you snap a spike off. It'll rebloom next year. You are in
this for the long haul.

Don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon of the latest fad in potting mix
or fertilizer.

Whatever works for you works for you.

You are on your own. People can offer advice but but no one can tell you how
to grow.

There is no 'right' answer.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Have a little confidence.

K Barrett

Old 29-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Diana Kulaga

Do choose plants that are suitable to your environment. Ask the grower.

Do pick up a copy of Ortho's All About Orchids; it's a great book for
beginners.

Do check out alt.binaries.pictures.orchids for wonderful photos.

Now that you have begun, Do be afraid. Be very afraid. This is just the
beginning of a lifelong addiction!

Diana

Old 30-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Kenni Judd

1. Don't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. This covers a lot of ground:

a. Don't re-use pots, clips, stakes, etc., without sterilizing them [which
in most cases means don't re-use them at all, it's cheaper to buy new].

b. Don't tear up an overgrown plant trying to save the clay pot it's
clinging to -- use a hammer and break the pot, peel off the shards. The
orchid is worth more than the pot.

c. Don't spend more trying to save a problem plant than it would cost you
to replace it. Some plants are truly irreplaceable, but beginners shouldn't
be buying those [see below].

d. A lot of newbies have a philosophy that they don't want to spend much on
a plant because they are afraid they'll kill it. Within reason, this is a
good philosophy -- I discourage beginners from buying specimens, or plants
that are expensive because they are, say, a vegetative division of an actual
awarded plant [as opposed to a clone which, 99% of the time, is just as good
for most practical purposes and much cheaper].

But taken to extremes, this can become a self-fulfilling prophecy: mature,
or at least adolescent [near-flowering-size] plants cost more than small
seedlings, compots or flasks, but they're also much hardier and easier to
grow [harder to kill]. After you're comfortable with more mature plants is
the time to try babies. And if a mature plant is discounted far below its
market value, there _is_ a reason. We maintain a "scratch & dent special"
area at our nursery, for plants that are recuperating from various problems;
I discourage beginners from shopping there, too, even though many of them
can't even discern why some of the plants are classified that way [which is
why they shouldn't be shopping there G].

2. The quarantine procedure mentioned earlier is very important. It
applies not only to new acquisitions but also to any problems you discover
among your existing collection -- if you find fungus, insects, etc., on a
plant, the very first thing to do is get it away from your others. The
second thing to do is treat it _promptly_; the longer you let a problem
linger, the harder it is to get rid of.

3. A lot of professional growers offer classes [our next set is coming in
January]. If there's one near you, sign up for the basics. For specific
plants and practices, a grower in your area can give you better advice than
one trying to work long-distance.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 30-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Claude

Hello!

My name is Claude and am an orchid addict!
Am mostly a Phal, Dtps and Paph addict!

I have been growing orchids accidently when I found a dying plant at one of
my friend house. The plant ( Phal ) had 2 very soft leaves, dull and
yellowish.
I decided to take it, with or without his consent and brought it home. I
went to my local library and I read everything I could find about orchids. I
found this group, the Rays website and I just have joined an orchid
association.

I think you should read a lot about orchids, choose those who go well with
your taste and environnement and join an association.

You will have succes, you will have problem. You will be happy when you
will discover a new flower spike and you will cry when you will break it
accidently.

Welcome into this worderful addiction!

Claude

Old 01-12-2003, 04:36 AM

So what happened to the plant? What was it suffering from?
Neglect? Too much water? Too little light? How much was the ransom?
I enjoy all the personel stories -- keep em coming and thanks all the
good advice.

Old 01-12-2003, 05:02 AM
Claude

The plant was suffering from a lack of water, moisture!

I repotted it and I still have it! It blooms once a year, sometime twice!
A few year later, I discovered the Semi-Hydroponic ( TM ) culture and I
decided to put all my plants in that kind of medium. I have great result so
far and I`m very pleased with it.

Now, my big concern is to get more money to buy more plants!!! :-)

Bye

Claude

Old 01-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:58:51 -0500, "Claude"
wrote:

Hello!

My name is Claude and am an orchid addict!
Am mostly a Phal, Dtps and Paph addict!

I have been growing orchids accidently when I found a dying plant at one of
my friend house. The plant ( Phal ) had 2 very soft leaves, dull and

Welcome into this worderful addiction!

Claude

Hello Claude,

After so many wise words, I have to ask. Did you manage to save
such a sick plant? Or was it too far gone already?

I too am an Orchid-holic. I know of very few I don't like. But
quite a few I can not grow.

SuE

Old 01-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Claude

Hey Susan!|

I manage to save that plant ! I still have it and it blooms every year,
sometimes twice!
See previous post!

Claude