Old 29-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Bette Noir

Default Broken paph spike (sob)

The only reason I'm not kicking my self all over the place is that I've
read other people sometimes break spikes.

The break is a couple of inches down from the bud. Which is the preferable
method for attempting to nurse the bud through until bloom. A bamboo
splint and some tape to hold the broken ends together (current arrangement)
or just put the broken piece into some water?
Old 29-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Diana Kulaga

I mourn with you......the "snap", the dreaded snap sound!

I'd leave it splinted, unless it's really ready to open. I mean, like
*really* ready.

Diana

. 204.17...

Old 29-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Bette Noir

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in news:jB9yb.31014
:

I mourn with you......the "snap", the dreaded snap sound!

I'd leave it splinted, unless it's really ready to open. I mean, like
*really* ready.

Diana

Shudder. Yes, I heard that sound.

I'm no expert, but from what I remember from last year it isn't *really*
ready.
Old 30-11-2003, 03:02 AM
J Fortuna

I too know and shudder at this sound, and mourn with you. Do Paph's regrow
broken spikes like Phals do?

This spring one of my Phals had to be satisfied with two flowers alas, since
I accidientally broke its spike during watering, and then it retried again,
and then my husband accidentally rebroke the spike when moving it out of the
way in our kitchen, and it tried a third time, and I won't tell you what
happened the third time, but alas ... After it was done wit the two flowers
(gorgeous flowers that were at least 5 inches wide), I figured it deserved a
break (err, I mean a rest), so I cut down the spike all the way, however now
it has put out a new spike again, so hopefully the dreaded event won't
reoccur. We will try extra-hard with this one, this time.

. 204.17...

Old 30-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Ray

Nope, once you've broken that paph spike, that plant is done, and you'll
have to wait for a new growth to bloom.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

. 204.17...

Old 01-12-2003, 06:44 AM
Bette Noir

"J Fortuna" wrote in
:

I too know and shudder at this sound, and mourn with you. Do Paph's
regrow broken spikes like Phals do?

Thanks for the sympathy. So far the bud above the splint looks fine, so I
hope it works. This is only my second rebloomed orchid (uh, I guess I mean
rebudded, in this case), so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 01-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Claude

Hello!

I know how you feel. It happenned to me and I decide to cut the spike and
let the plant grow another one. It took two years!

Since then, when one of my plant has a new spike, I handcuffed myself and I
don`t touch the spike until they blooms!

Claude ( still handcuffed ! )

. 199.17...

Old 02-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Bette Noir

"Claude" wrote in
:

Hello!

I know how you feel. It happenned to me and I decide to cut the spike
and let the plant grow another one. It took two years!

Since then, when one of my plant has a new spike, I handcuffed myself
and I don`t touch the spike until they blooms!

Claude ( still handcuffed ! )

I was watering the plants...in my bathrobe with the heavy draggy floppy
sleeves, and clearly not watching what I was doing. Who knew I had to be
careful of SLEEVES? Guess I know that now.

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
broken spike Larry Orchids 10 25-03-2005 07:39 AM
Paph new spike versus new leaf J Fortuna Orchids 27 23-01-2005 05:50 PM
Paph new spike versus new leaf J Fortuna Orchids 0 15-09-2004 11:41 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM