Old 30-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Shell

Default Staking Orchids

What does everyone use to stake orchids? I've seen the little clips, twist
ties, string, and the wire loop kind, which is best?

Shell

Old 30-11-2003, 02:04 AM
molli

I like the little clips. the cats like to remove the twist ties, usually
breaking something in the process, they leave the clips alone.

--

Hugs,
Molli

igy.com...

Old 30-11-2003, 04:12 AM
J Fortuna

I wouldn't say it's best, but I recently staked my equestris using a crochet
hook as the stake (since I could not find a tiny enough stake in the local
nursery) and a bit of yarn (to match the crochet hook idea :-). It works.
Joanna

"molli" wrote in message
I like the little clips. the cats like to remove the twist ties, usually
breaking something in the process, they leave the clips alone.

--

Hugs,
Molli

igy.com...

Old 30-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Shell

Well, I don't have cats (not counting the feral ones that live in the
storage house this fall) But I like the idea of using something colorful
for staking. I'm wondering if the clips are the same as the little ones
used for hair?

Shell

"molli" wrote in message
I like the little clips. the cats like to remove the twist ties, usually
breaking something in the process, they leave the clips alone.

--

Hugs,
Molli

igy.com...

Old 30-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Shell

Sounds neat I have used bright pink macrame yarn to tie up my Dancing
Ladies Ginger. And I bought one of those large vases filled with sticks at
a garage sale awhile back, I really didn't want the sticks but they went
with the vase. I've been using sections of them for stakes in other plants.
I need to stake my Epi. pseuepidendrum at least until it gets comfortable in
its new pot but it isn't tall enough to use one of the fancy wire stakes as
it's only in a small 2 1/2 inch pot

Shell

"molli" wrote in message
I like the little clips. the cats like to remove the twist ties,

usually
breaking something in the process, they leave the clips alone.

--

Hugs,
Molli

igy.com...

Old 30-11-2003, 03:02 PM
molli

Shell, until I picked up a bunch of cutsey dragon fly clips, I raided my
daughters hair stuff box and was using her hair clips to stake
orchids...they are exactly the same, but for some reason kids take exception
to Moms borrowing their things....funny how that doesn't work the other way
around.....

--

Hugs,
Molli

. com...

"molli" wrote in message
I like the little clips. the cats like to remove the twist ties,

usually
breaking something in the process, they leave the clips alone.

--

Hugs,
Molli

igy.com...

Old 30-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Shell

LOL I hve a few of these tiny clips, I'll have to try one or two on my
orchids

Shell

"molli" wrote in message
Shell, until I picked up a bunch of cutsey dragon fly clips, I raided my
daughters hair stuff box and was using her hair clips to stake
orchids...they are exactly the same, but for some reason kids take

exception
to Moms borrowing their things....funny how that doesn't work the other

way
around.....

--

Hugs,
Molli

. com...

"molli" wrote in message
I like the little clips. the cats like to remove the twist ties,

usually
breaking something in the process, they leave the clips alone.

--

Hugs,
Molli

igy.com...

Old 30-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Kenni Judd

Depends on the orchid, and whether you're staking the plant or just flowers.

If you're talking about stabilizing a newly-repotted plant, I recommend
starting with a rhizome clip if at all possible [on sympodial plants, it
goes over the rhizome and clips on the edge of the pot; harder to use on
monopodials like phals, but still possible if you have lots of roots, or
better yet an old stub of a previously-bloomed spike]. There are different
kinds and sizes; it's important to get the right ones for the type of pot
[clay vs. plastic], length is less important [you can always cut them down,
and don't always need them to go all the way across the pot]. Often this is
all that's needed, but for plants that tend to have floppy or otherwise
unruly growth habits, you may also want to either stake individual pbs or
use a ring-stake.

Rhizome clips are available from OFE International in Miami and probably
from lots of other supply houses online. Don't know if they're still there,
but a while back a Google search turned up several designs for jigs to make
your own. [You might also check out the Reading Room at
http://www.orchidmall.com ].

For flowers, you need to use individual stakes. You probably don't have
this problem yet, but there will come a time when you just flat can't get a
stake into the pot; at that point, there are wire stakes that clip onto the
rim of the pot that you can use.

As far as the little hairclips go, people either love them or hate them, and
it depends a little, too, on the type of presentation you want. I like the
look in a "festive" basket or on a single plant with 1-2 spikes, but in a
larger or more formal arrangement, we still use the twist-ties and hide them
with moss, or use raffia if the customer insists.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
igy.com...

Old 30-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Just one thing to add: No problem with whatever colors you choose to use
for yarn, ties, clips, etc, for your own enjoyment. But when you decide to
show a plant (you will, one day!) or participate in a society display, you
want to downplay the staking materials. In our area, and I suspect in
others, a display would lose points for yellow twist ties, for example.
Must be green, and as Kenni mentioned, hidden as well as possible.

Diana

Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Shell

I can see where you would want the ties and staking to be as invisible as
possible. The Lowe's near me sells the wire stakes with the little hooks on
the end that are coated with green plastic. I like them but they can get a
bit expensive.

Shell

hlink.net...

Old 01-12-2003, 06:43 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:35:23 GMT, "Shell"
wrote:

What does everyone use to stake orchids? I've seen the little clips, twist
ties, string, and the wire loop kind, which is best?

Shell

At home the best is a single strand of wire from a telephone
wire. It is plastic covered and fairly thin. It is flexible.
If I am going to remove it as soon as the plant is stable or
attached to a piece of bark, I don't mind if it is orange and
white candy cane stripe. If I want it to support an extra tall
inflorescence I will usually dig out the green one and tie it to
the plant hanger. Otherwise I just use the plain wire support
that has a hook on one end. If I trim the hanger on a basket for
the porch, I save the wire clippings and make small stakes for
the mini catts. I am utility over cute until I need it in a
show. Then it is invisible if possible.

SuE
Old 01-12-2003, 07:09 AM
Shell

Your post gave me an idea. I have a lot of old wire hangers just hanging
around Voila fancy hooked stakes and clips.

Shell

Old 01-12-2003, 10:42 PM
tbell

Most of us have unwrapped any number of electronic devices, and I like
to recycle the plastic coated flexible ties that are used to secure power
cords. Usually either black or white, they are thin, neat, moisture proof,
and tolerate repeated flexing without breaking or tearing.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)