Old 30-11-2003, 04:20 AM
Registered User

Location: florida, usa
Default winter temps

can i leave a spathoglottis and a dendrobium outside during a winter temp of 46F? i put a large garbage bag over the dendrobium, and brought the rest in. but the spath is planted and the dendrobium is awfully big........this is south florida, i didnt expect this. arghhhhh.
Old 30-11-2003, 05:32 AM
J Fortuna

Good news for the spathoglottis I think. I found the following culture
sheet, mentioning
"As a tropical plant, Spathoglottis require daytime temperatures above 75° F
and nights above 60° F for vigorous growth and flowering. Plants may drop
leaves and go dormant with extended temperatures below 40° F. Spathoglottis
will not tolerate freezing." So I guess this means that 46F for non-extended
time-period should be ok, I hope.
http://www.oglesbytc.com/CultureInfo...thoglottis.htm

s.com...
--
agnatha3141

Old 30-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

I don't know where in FL you are (we are in Port St. Lucie), but I wouldn't
worry about our current temps in the south. This isn't supposed to last
very long. Actually, here it wasn't so bad. My concern was the Vandas, but
it didn't go under 50.

For Dends, I'd worry about protracted low temps, not a couple of hours,
unless the plant is in bud or the temps get really low. Don't expect that,
though. Warmer weather on the way!

Diana

Old 01-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Shell

I'm in Houston and we had our first freeze warning the other night, early
for us to have a freeze. I brought all the movable plants in and made sure
everything was where it would be warm. I wouldn't mind a good hard freeze
or two to kill off all the fleas and such but I don't want all my plants to
die off either. Guess I'll be pulling out the old sheets for the winter

Shell

hlink.net...

Old 01-12-2003, 05:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 04:16:15 GMT, agnatha3141
wrote:

can i leave a spathoglottis and a dendrobium outside during a winter
temp of 46F? i put a large garbage bag over the dendrobium, and brought
the rest in. but the spath is planted and the dendrobium is awfully
big........this is south florida, i didnt expect this. arghhhhh.

If you want a touch of warmth in that bag, support it on 4 stakes
out away from the plant and run a light bulb on an extension all
night under the bag. At least that is the trick they have been
showing on Discovery or HGTV.
SuE

Old 01-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Kenni Judd

I can't speak to the Spath., we don't do much with any terrestrials [I find
epiphytes much easier to grow, although I can manage Phaius tankervilliae].

For the Den: this is a huge tribe, some much more cold-tolerant that
others. Even if yours is one of the warmth-loving evergreens, however, a
couple hours at 46F shouldn't do any major harm. At worst, you might lose a
few more leaves on older growths than you otherwise might've [or some
developing buds, if the plant is trying to flower].

For future, tho, I would suggest something other than plastic as a cover, if
you can't bring it in: a beach towel, a lightweight blanket, an old XL
t-shirt ...something that breathes a little. If we should get a real freeze
[yes, it does happen here], then you need to either find a big friend to
haul the plant in [and back out] for you or take additional measures --
e.g., a small string of the tiny outdoor Xmas lights around the pot, under
but not touching the covering ...

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd