Old 01-12-2003, 01:04 AM
Shell

Default Blooming Size

This one is Lc.Tropical Treat.

Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
With catts, there is so much variability, it's hard to say without knowing
the hybrid. For example, Slc. Tiny Titan is fully mature at 6" tall,

while
Memorial Crispin Rosales is more likely to need to be a foot or more tall.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
I have aquired a Catt and an Epi. pseudepidendrum. The Catt is supposed

be blooming sized and is about 6 inches tall, has what loks like 4
psedubulbs in 3 different sizes. Maybe it will bloom in a year. I

hope.
The Epi is still a seedling but an older seedling I think This

orchid
stuff is proving to be an adventure

Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
Unfortunately, that's a really tough question, with no "pat" answer.

Factors that must be considered:

1 Genus
2 species, or specific makeup if it's a hybrid
3 variability within the species or hybrid
4 culture

...and probably others.

Let's look at phalaenopsis alone for a moment: a phalaenopsis

gigantea
will
usually need to have leaves somewhere in the 18" length range before

it
even
begins "thinking" about blooming, while a lueddemanniana can bloom

with
3"
or 4" of total leaf span. Start hybridizing and other variables come

out
as
well.

I, for example, have a Phal Sogo Redfox - a gigantea hybrid - that

didn't
start blooming until it had about three or four 20" leaves, but I have

another plant of the same hybrid (from the same seed capsule) that

blooms
regularly on a plant with a 12" leaf span.

One can reasonably safely estimate that a vanda will need to be much

larger
and older than a phal to bloom, but I'd bet that a good grower in

Florida
can raise a vandaceous plant to grow faster than a phal in my window

(they
get very little light, so I have a greenhouse...), making it possible

that
the vanda could bloom first. OK, maybe that's pushing the point a

bit,
but
you see where I was going, especially considering that some places are
getting phals or even paphs to bloom 18 months after flasking!

As another example, I occasionally buy seedlings from H&R in Hawaii.

For
them, a plant in a 2" pot may very well be "NBS" and may bloom in a

matter
of months, while for me in Pennsylvania, it could be a year or more

out
for
the same seedling.

Basically it comes down to doing your homework, so you know what's
reasonable to expect for the plant, and understanding the cultural
conditions the plant has had and what it will get once you own it, so

you
can guesstimate on the growth rate differences.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
. com...
How do you tell when an orchid is blooming size or near blooming

size?
keep seeing leaf span measurements and pot sizes but no real ages or
anything.

Shell

Old 01-12-2003, 01:04 AM
Shell

Well I haven't gotten any Vandas yet, though there are several I wouldn't
mind having. I have been thinking of selling or trading two of the Dend
Caesar Jacque orchids since I would rather have one of each type I like. At
least right now who knows I could also change my mind I've been doing
a lot of looking on the web and have started a nice long wish list.

Shell

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Shell, Ray gave you very good info. To add-on from a different climate:

This could well be the case with tessellata or hybrids thereof, they bloom
early and often. And maybe some Ascocendas like Princess Mikasa [close
race, I think]. But not with most large-flowered standard vanda hybrids
which have lots of sanderiana or coerulea in the ancestry. [I am a

Florida
grower, and like to think I'm good G].

One can reasonably safely estimate that a vanda will need to be much

larger
and older than a phal to bloom, but I'd bet that a good grower in

Florida
can raise a vandaceous plant to grow faster than a phal in my window

(they
get very little light, so I have a greenhouse...), making it possible

that
the vanda could bloom first. OK, maybe that's pushing the point a bit,

but
you see where I was going, especially considering that some places are
getting phals or even paphs to bloom 18 months after flasking!

I also sometime get seedlings from H&R. In the case of most

large-flowered
catts, it will take me a year or more to bloom them [even in Florida].
Certain types will go much faster, for us mostly the intergeneric

mini-catts
involving Broughtonia, and some of the Dens.

As far as judging the ability of grower/vendors to predict when a plant is
blooming-size, you might find the OGRES rating site of interest. If you
don't already have it bookmarked, you can find a link on our Home Page.

Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 01-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Ray

Lc. Tropical Treat is an H&R hybrid - they specialize in mini's - involving
L. milleri and other small species. I'd say 6"-9" is pretty mature.

m...

Old 01-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Ray

Be careful branching to other genera until you're really comfortable growing
what you've got and can easily rebloom them.

Buying a wide variety of stuff you like the looks of, without knowing enough
about their needs is a typical beginners trap. I know I fell for it!

news