Old 30-11-2003, 08:43 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default your first ever orchid

Hi Shell, how long have you been growing orchids?What was your first one to
get you hooked!
kenty
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
I do try to buy orchids advertised as blooming size or even better a
previously bloomed one unless it's something that I'm willing to wait on
like a more unusual type. Or like my flask experiment

Shell

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...
"Shell" wrote in message

.com...
How do you tell when an orchid is blooming size or near blooming size?

keep seeing leaf span measurements and pot sizes but no real ages or
anything.

That's because age isn't very useful when dealing with orchids. Since
orchids grow indefinitely, there is typically no way to be certain of
their age. This is especially true of divisions where there is no way
to determine how much material has been removed. The only exception
is with seedlings that still retain all of their immature pseudobulbs.
With such a plant, you can estimate age, but only if you know the
rate at which the plant is producing new growth. When growing a
seedling, you should see each growth significantly larger than the
previous one. As the plant matures, each growth should be the same
size as the previous, never smaller.

"Blooming size" is usually a guess based on a grower's experience with
other plants of that species or hybrid. If the grower has lots of
experience, it may be a very good guess, but there is no way to be
sure. Many orchids will bloom for the first time before they reach
full size, but first-flowering is dependent on many factors (genetics,
skill of the grower, etc). The presence of old inflorescences
indicating that the plant has previously bloomed is the only way for a
beginner to be sure a plant is blooming size.

In my experience, most "blooming size" seedlings will flower within a
range of a few months to a few years given proper growing conditions.
"Near blooming size" plants fall in basically the same range, but all
things being equal, larger seedlings will bloom before smaller
seedlings. Some seedlings will bloom within a year out of flask. For
example, my Coryanthes thivii bloomed about 10 months after it was
deflasked. Other seedlings won't bloom for years or decades if they
are missing some critical requirement in their culture.

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com

Old 30-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Shell

My first ever orchid was actually 4. A pot with 3 Dend.Caesar Jacque in it
and a mystery Dend that I got from Lowe's for a substantial markdown. The
large pot has the 3 end Caesar Jacque in it and was half price because it
had lost a few leaves and only had one flower left. The mystery Dend had
been knocked over and the fancy pot was gone along with the tag and the
flowers, the reson it was only $3. do love a deal

Shell
(who's motto is : Cheap is good but free is better)

Old 01-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Diana Kulaga

Shell,

I have lots of seedlings, but recently I decided to keep those purchases to
a minimum, and save my money for plants that will give me somewhat more
immediate gratification. One of the reasons for the change is that so many
BS plants turn out to be just that: BS! Of course, it depends on the source,
and there are some (Ray, for example) in whom I place much more trust than
others.

Still, the younger the plant, the higher the attrition rate, despite
everyone's good intentions. And, worst of all, unless a plant is in bloom
when you get it, or has at least been previously bloomed, there's no
guarantee that it won't sit there like a salad and never bloom at all.

Mix it up between blooming and smaller, and you'll be happier, I think.
After all, we grow these suckers for the flowers, not the foliage!

Diana

Old 01-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Shell

I was looking into doing one of those orchid a month things where you get a
different orchid in spike every month. If I can get someone to get this for
me for Christmas I try to buy older plants, especially previously
bloomed ones if I can. Thing is it's really hard for me to pass up a chance
to get an interesting plant for a really good price

Shell

hlink.net...

Old 01-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:40:02 GMT, "Shell"
wrote:

I was looking into doing one of those orchid a month things where you get a
different orchid in spike every month. If I can get someone to get this for
me for Christmas I try to buy older plants, especially previously
bloomed ones if I can. Thing is it's really hard for me to pass up a chance
to get an interesting plant for a really good price

Shell

Shell -
I would think again and give this one a pass. Instead ask for a
gift card or prepaid account that you can draw on. This plant a
month generally is not a very adventuresome collection. You like
to experiment and like such different plants, I think you will be
happier choosing your own.
SuE

Old 01-12-2003, 07:11 AM
Shell

You're probably right Maybe I can talk someone into a couple of gift
certificates Thanks

Shell