GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to place diff. plants under light? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/48144-where-place-diff-plants-under-light.html)

iBook 04-12-2003 02:44 AM

Where to place diff. plants under light?

I have an indoor growroom in the basement. I started with a shelf system
that has four 4 foot flor. bulbs under each shelf. I then bought a MH
400 and hung it in front of the shelf, and got another shelf to put next
to it. So, basicaly there are 2 selves on each unit that get nice light
from the MH, along with the one shelf that has the flor. bulbs.
My question is- what plants should I put closer to the MH? I know that
the Paphs and the phals need to a be little furthar from the bulb, but I
also have several other types. I grow:
Brassavola
Cattleyas
Oncidium
Dendrobium
Brassia Hybrids
Oncidium
Degarmoara
Miltassia
Odontocidium
and the Phals and Paphs

I know this is a list of very different type orchids- but they all seem
to be doing great under the MH/shelves. Once they spike I bring them
into a bow window in my living room. I have had to move some around
under the MH to prevent burning, etc., and I am trying to keep humidity
up. I have only had the light for a couple of months.

So, my question is this: does anyone have any recommedations as to what
plants should be closer to the lights- and which should be furthar from
the light? I want to make the most of the space, and put the
light-loving plants closer to the MH.

I will post some pics on a site, if anyone wants to see the space I
made...

Rob Halgren 04-12-2003 03:03 PM

iBook wrote:

I have an indoor growroom in the basement. I started with a shelf system
that has four 4 foot flor. bulbs under each shelf. I then bought a MH
400 and hung it in front of the shelf, and got another shelf to put next
to it. So, basicaly there are 2 selves on each unit that get nice light
from the MH, along with the one shelf that has the flor. bulbs.
My question is- what plants should I put closer to the MH? I know that
the Paphs and the phals need to a be little furthar from the bulb, but I
also have several other types. I grow:

My general rule is put the warmer growers on the top shelf. After that,
you can mix and match according to the light requirements of the
individual genera. That is such a subjective thing that I don't even
want to start... You can look at my plant room (on my website) to get
an idea of what I put where. My best advice is to do what you think is
best, and watch the plants for a few months. Shuffle if it looks like
something isn't getting enough light, or too much light. Not very
specific advice, but that is what I do.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

TS 04-12-2003 07:02 PM

Where to place diff. plants under light?

In article ,

iBook wrote:

[...]

Thanks Rob, I remember seeing these photos a while back- I think when I
asked a question about setting up the room. I was just starting out
then. I started with the florescents under the shelves, and then bought
a 400 W MH. I like the idea of the shelves- even with the MH, it seems I
can control plant placement better, since they are all diff sizes, and
have diff. light requirements. Here are links to some pics i took this
AM. I have about 50 plants down there, and another 20 or so in bloom
upstairs. Once I move out the hybiscus, I will have even more room =)

Sorry for the long URL's

http://65.61.225.14/photos/displayim...up&cat=0&pos=3

http://65.61.225.14/photos/displayim...up&cat=0&pos=2

http://65.61.225.14/photos/displayim...up&cat=0&pos=1

http://65.61.225.14/photos/displayim...up&cat=0&pos=0

sneff 05-12-2003 02:08 PM

Where to place diff. plants under light?

SNIP

"TS" wrote in message

Sorry for the long URL's

TS,

Head over to http://tinyurl.com/

This site will give you a short alias for any URL you enter. It is free,
permanant and very handy.

For example, I just shortened your

http://65.61.225.14/photos/displayim...up&cat=0&pos=3

into the much easier