Old 04-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Allergic to Orchids?

So, I'm randomly perusing the scientific literature (I just like to say
that), and I come across at least two articles about contact dermatitis
caused by orchids. One, a lady with a reaction to her Cymbidium
collection, and the other a report of a reaction to Paph. haynaldianum
(both in Archives of Dermatology). There may be more.

Anybody out there have an allergic reaction to their orchids? If you
did, would you still grow them??

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 04-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Rob,

No allergies to orchids! But if I had 'em, I'd wear gloves and keep on
potting.

(Diana's Rules: Follow Rob's Rules)

Diana

Old 04-12-2003, 10:33 PM
molli

I personally don't have any allergies to orchids Rob, but my husband and one
child have asthma. I know certain orchids in bloom trigger attacks in them,
so when my Goldenzelle blooms, or my brassavolas, I keep them in my orchid
room with the door shut. I'm seriously considering replacing husband and
child with more orchids.......
--

Hugs,
Molli

..

Old 05-12-2003, 01:04 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:29:43 -0700, "molli"
wrote:

I personally don't have any allergies to orchids Rob, but my husband and one
child have asthma. I know certain orchids in bloom trigger attacks in them,
so when my Goldenzelle blooms, or my brassavolas, I keep them in my orchid
room with the door shut. I'm seriously considering replacing husband and
child with more orchids.......

I do not have contact dermatitis, but I do have hay fever
reaction to any strong perfume... Zygo, Brassavola, Wilsonara
Golden Afternoon, any thing. When in bloom, I find them as soon
as the first flower opens. I spend more time at the window over
looking the gh than in it during the zygo season. I carry
kleenex. I own 3 'ladies of the night' and 2 Neofinetia falcata,
several other crosses with strong perfume.

Cym., Corn, Tomatoes, and Strawberries irritate my skin but not
to the point of a rash.

SuE
Old 05-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Adel (Ed) Nazzal

I do have some reaction, I don't think its an allergy though.
Every time I am around orchids nurseries, there is a reduction of pressure
in my hip pocket.

Cheers
Ed.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:32 AM
GrlIntrpted

I am allergic to cymbidiums. I got rid of every single one that I had. My
skin literally breaks into enormous boils that last for about a week. I
react the same way to shell fish, and strawberries.

Mariana

Old 05-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Rob Halgren

GrlIntrpted wrote:

I am allergic to cymbidiums. I got rid of every single one that I had. My
skin literally breaks into enormous boils that last for about a week. I
react the same way to shell fish, and strawberries.

Yep, that is what the first report I read said about cymbidiums.
Evidently there is some sort of phenolic compound in them that induces
the reaction. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that much. My mother
always said she was allergic to weeding the garden. I think that was an
excuse to get me to do it, but who knows.

I'm not allergic (yet!) but I do experience the wallet vacuuming
reaction to orchids. Perhaps there is some sort of pill I can take to
reduce that... *grin*

Old 05-12-2003, 08:42 PM
GrlIntrpted

GrlIntrpted wrote:

I am allergic to cymbidiums. I got rid of every single one that I had.

My
skin literally breaks into enormous boils that last for about a week. I
react the same way to shell fish, and strawberries.

Yep, that is what the first report I read said about cymbidiums.
Evidently there is some sort of phenolic compound in them that induces
the reaction. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that much. My mother
always said she was allergic to weeding the garden. I think that was an
excuse to get me to do it, but who knows.

I'm not allergic (yet!) but I do experience the wallet vacuuming
reaction to orchids. Perhaps there is some sort of pill I can take to
reduce that... *grin*

I remember one particular Cymbidium that I got from HomeDepot. The name tag
of the plant had a warning about the leaves of the cymbidium that might be
a skin irritant.

Mariana

Old 06-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:54:49 -0500, Rob Halgren
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Anybody out there have an allergic reaction to their orchids?

New Epidendrum hybrids at Cal-Orchid or Yamada's
cause me itch to purchase them. :-)