Old 04-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Shell

Default Bulbo help

I was the recipient of a Bulbophyllum longiflorum x lasiochillum today and
it looks like it's planted in potting soil. Do I need to repot it? The
information I have been reading says they don't like to be disturbed and
they like loose media or to be mounted. The plant looks healthy.

Shell

Old 05-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:11:57 GMT, "Shell"
wrote:

I was the recipient of a Bulbophyllum longiflorum x lasiochillum today and
it looks like it's planted in potting soil. Do I need to repot it? The
information I have been reading says they don't like to be disturbed and
they like loose media or to be mounted. The plant looks healthy.

Shell

Shell you know the definition of Loose media. Have you got
something that drains rapidly? If not move it.
SuE
Old 05-12-2003, 02:32 AM
GrlIntrpted

If you are 100% certain that they're in soil then repot the bulbo. I'm not
sure where you are but here in my house the lasiochillum as well as the
longiflorum are both spent. I repotted them, because they both grew several
pseudobulbs during the active growing period from spring to fall. They'll
both sulk as they previously did especially because it is better to repot
right before active growth begins, but hey as the saying goes, better late
than never .

Good luck,
Mariana
p.s. has it previously bloomed?

Old 05-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Shell

news
wrote:

I was the recipient of a Bulbophyllum longiflorum x lasiochillum today

and
it looks like it's planted in potting soil. Do I need to repot it? The
information I have been reading says they don't like to be disturbed and
they like loose media or to be mounted. The plant looks healthy.

Shell

Shell you know the definition of Loose media. Have you got
something that drains rapidly? If not move it.
SuE

I've been looking at it and I think that it's just real old media. I'm
going to give it a good watering and see what happens. There are four
pseudobulbs but only one in the media. Do Bulbos put out keiki's?

Shell

Old 05-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Shell

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
et...
If you are 100% certain that they're in soil then repot the bulbo. I'm

not
sure where you are but here in my house the lasiochillum as well as the
longiflorum are both spent. I repotted them, because they both grew

several
pseudobulbs during the active growing period from spring to fall. They'll
both sulk as they previously did especially because it is better to repot
right before active growth begins, but hey as the saying goes, better late
than never .

Good luck,
Mariana
p.s. has it previously bloomed?

I don't know if it has previously bloomed or not. I've looked closer and it
looks like just old media. I'm going to see how it drains before I do
anything.

Shell

Old 05-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Myrmecodia

"Shell" wrote in message m...

I've been looking at it and I think that it's just real old media. I'm
going to give it a good watering and see what happens. There are four
pseudobulbs but only one in the media. Do Bulbos put out keiki's?

If only one pseudobulb is rooting in the media, the plant may be
telling you it doesn't like the mix.

Almost all of my Bulbos are in long fiber sphagnum moss, either
straight up or mixed with varying amounts of perlite or aliflor. Since
they tend to creep out of pots, I use little plastic baskets bought in
the housewares department of walmart. The baskets are white, varying
sizes, and have slatted sides. To make them suitable of the orchids,
I drill holes in the bottom. Since they are rectangular, they can be
packed close together in limited space. They worked especially well
when I used to grow indoors, because the little basket of sphagnum
stayed moist longer than a mount.

HTH

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com
Old 05-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Shell

Thanks for the idea, I have a few of those little baskets hanging around in
my kitchen I am going to repot tomorrow

Shell

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
m...

m...

Bulbo.facetum tenman Orchid Photos 3 24-04-2009 11:59 PM
Bulbo.lobbii tenman Orchid Photos 1 07-06-2008 08:48 PM
Bulbophyllum elisae 'Cozette' - cute little Australian miniature bulbo Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 09-01-2007 06:02 AM
Bulbophyllum aff. morphologorum - nice multi-floral bulbo Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 02-01-2007 07:23 PM
Unknown Bulbo... Fran Kirby Orchids 1 18-08-2003 05:22 PM