Old 06-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Larry Dighera

Default NOVA: "Orchid Hunter" December 9, 2003

Is this something new, or the same old...

NEXT ON NOVA: "Orchid Hunter"

http://www.pbs.org/nova/orchid

Broadcast: December 9, 2003
(NOVA airs Tuesdays on PBS at 8 p.m. Check your local listings as
dates and times may vary.)

For nine months in 2000, Tom Hart Dyke was a captive of guerrillas
who seized him while he was collecting wild orchids in the Colombian
rain forest. Now Hart Dyke is at it again in the most orchid-rich
and politically unstable part of New Guinea. NOVA investigates an
all-consuming passion that for some people is more precious than life
itself. Ranging from the scientific to the sociological,
"Orchid Hunter" covers research at the forefront of plant biology.
Long of interest to scientists because of their remarkable
evolutionary history, orchids are equally exciting to collectors,
who have made them a multibillion-dollar industry.

Here's what you'll find on the companion Web site:

Slide Show and Article

Orchid Gallery
Sample the surprising diversity of shapes and colors in this
collection of 15 different orchid species.

A Plant With Smarts
In this article and video clip, Susan Orlean, author of The
Orchid Thief, muses about the orchid's "clever and unplantlike
determination to survive."

Overview and Interactive

Great Amateurs in Science
Thomas Jefferson. Arthur C. Clarke. Joseph Priestley. Meet 10
nonscientists who have made extraordinary contributions to
science.

Classifying Life
What do a polar bear and a sea cucumber have in common? More
than you might imagine. Find out in this game.

Resources

A list of related links and books, a teacher's guide, and the
program transcript

http://www.pbs.org/nova/orchid
Old 06-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Steve

Larry, I haven't seen this one. I usually find out about shows like this
after they are over, so I thank you for the advance warning!

Steve

Old 06-12-2003, 08:13 PM
mame

Unfortunately, it's not on in the NY/NJ area.
Anne

"Steve" wrote in message =
. ..
| Larry, I haven't seen this one. I usually find out about shows like =
this=20
| after they are over, so I thank you for the advance warning!
|=20
| Steve
|=20

Old 07-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Steve

I live about half way between Watertown, NY and Plattsburgh, NY.
Fortunately, our cable system gives us PBS from both places. One is
showing it and one is not. Usually, Nova is on both at the same time.

Steve

Old 07-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Steve

Oh, wait. This HAS been on before. I looked again at the web site and
the original date that it was shown is near the top of this page:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/orchid/about.html

I read the description this time and it is that one about the guy who
wanted to name a new orchid after his grandmother. I remember that we
all talked after it aired about how he tromped through the jungle
ripping out what ever he wanted a closer look at and how he didn't even
know some of the common orchids of the area.

Steve

Old 07-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 01:36:39 GMT, Steve wrote:

Oh, wait. This HAS been on before. I looked again at the web site and
the original date that it was shown is near the top of this page:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/orchid/about.html

I read the description this time and it is that one about the guy who
wanted to name a new orchid after his grandmother. I remember that we
all talked after it aired about how he tromped through the jungle
ripping out what ever he wanted a closer look at and how he didn't even
know some of the common orchids of the area.

Steve

They are broadcasting the preview here.. It is the Punk. It is
not worth the time unless you want to get mad at Nova.

Coelogyne massangeana at the bottom of their list of species.
Is it me or is this photo on it's side. I am getting sensitive.
I just sorted the Judging Centers update and put them in a
cassette to show. Many are not marked to show you the proper
side to have up to project them.
SuE
Old 07-12-2003, 11:31 PM
profpam

That is a great NOVA event if one has not previously viewed it. In as
far as "the guy who wanted to name a new orchid after his grandmother" a
lesson can only be learned with knowledge of the P. Kovachii controversy
-- Don't become so egotistical as to desire naming something new after
oneself. Instead of P. Kovachii, might it be called P. narcisus?

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 08-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Mick Fournier

Default "Orchid Hunter" December 9, 2003

Tom Hart Dyke really gets on your nerves after 5 minutes with his stupid
naive constant pronouncements of "rare, undiscovered, missing,
never-seen-before" orchids he stumbles across. He winds up finding some
boring crap found dozens of times before him by "real" orchid collectors.

Don't waste your time.

Mick

Old 09-12-2003, 10:02 PM
profpam

Mick,

I agree. Substance is lacking. I am wondering if people are tuning into
the video the same as those who tune into Chris Cooper (Adaptation) and
for the same reasons. Oh, well, I am not THE JUDGE.

Old 09-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Pam,

I am the Judge... ask me anything.