Old 11-12-2003, 12:42 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default C. Hawaiian Wedding Song x BLC. Elizabeth Hearn -

This orchid went through so much while in my care. It survived a p/b rot,
loosing 2 p/b's out of 4 in total. Then a case of overwatering which left
the orchid with no "legs" to support itself. Finally, it grew a several new
growths with one particular p/b that is much rounder and plumper then the
rest. As you see by the photos, there is what looks to be like a small
sheath growing from it. However, I am hoping that you can see that it is
also not quite right looking. Both the leaf and the sheath are kind of
wrinkly and don't look quite right. In the summer it spent pretty much in
full sun most of the day (sometimes outdoors sometimes on the southern
window sill). I water it and fertilize it when the mix is dry (I stick my
fingers in there g).
Is this something that I need to be concerned with or will it straighten out
and produce a flower/s?

Mariana

Old 11-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Kenni Judd

Mariana: If there were photos, they didn't make it, at least not to me.
However, from your description, I am assuming that the sheath is a recent
development on a Catt division of only 2 pbs with a badly-damaged root
system.

If my assumptions are correct, and further assuming you want the plant live
beyond its first flowering, then you should not _allow_ it to expend energy
on flowers until it has a chance to recuperate.

Orchids in fear of imminent death will often try to send up a "swan song"
set of flowers, in a last-ditch effort to reproduce. This type of division
with only 2 pbs isn't strong enough to support flowers and still live, esp.
if it doesn't have a good root system -- it just wants to get its pollen out
into the reproductive stream. If you cut off the buds as soon as you can
get at them, you can force the plant to redirect its efforts towards its own
survival ... which is still problematic ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
et...

Old 11-12-2003, 01:33 AM
GrlIntrpted

Apologies, for not letting you all know that I posted the photos on the
binaries orchid group.

Yes, the sheath is a very recent development.
"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I understand that. The only reason that I was thinking of allowing it to
'reproduce' was because since it's attempt of suicide, the orchid produced 3
p/b's (fully grown now), and is now also growing 3 more p/b's!

Also, I should mention that the root system since the problem started
growing and they are plump and in good shape.

Thank you for the advice,
Mariana

Old 11-12-2003, 10:42 PM
GrlIntrpted

Okay I think I'm confusing the heck out of you I apologize. I guess I was
writing down my thoughts, which clearly only make sense to me .

My problem in this whole thing is that the sheath is bent for some reason.
I was wondering if perhaps it behaving this way because of the prior
problems that it had. I was wondering if there is something that I should
do about this or will it re-straighten itself.

Mariana

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Congrats, and disregard prior message, sorry I misunderstood.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
et...
Apologies, for not letting you all know that I posted the photos on the
binaries orchid group.

Yes, the sheath is a very recent development.
.. .

Old 14-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Hi, Mariana: I'm really busy now with shows and the holidays, so maybe I
haven't been reading your messages as closely as I should. Now that you've
got me focussing on the sheath:

1. As long as it's nice and green, I would leave it alone unless and until
you can see buds in it and further see that they are having trouble breaking
through because of the bend.

2. Even if it turns brown, I'd leave it alone as long as the brown sheath
is dry and becomes papery.

3. If the sheath starts to look "wet," or if you can see buds inside
getting kinked because they can't break through, then you need to peel the
sheath. This is a delicate operation -- you need to get the 2 sides apart
[sometimes they'll pull apart, sometimes you need to slice the top] and
gently peel them, keeping equal pressure on both sides. I've done this 100s
of times and still occasionally break the buds off in the process, which is
why I deem it a "measure of last resort."

4. I doubt the bend in the sheath is the result of prior health/culture
problems. More likely, it grew up under another leaf [on that plant, or a
neighboring plant], and got bent mechanically.

Good growing,

Old 14-12-2003, 08:37 PM
GrlIntrpted

Kenni thank you very much for all the help. Greatly appreciated.

Mariana
p.s. the sheath is growing