Old 13-12-2003, 04:12 PM
The Enigma

Default Questions from a beginning orchid grower

I have been looking into growing orchids via hydroponics. What do you guys
think? Any one know were I can get a small cheap system?

Also grow lights for Phal? Help speed growth? Waste? What type should I get?

If my orchid is blooming right now and the spike is still growing out with a
small new bud should I fertilize? I got this Schultz orchid food that says
1/4 tsp for every gallon and then a book that says what ever the package
says do half that amount who should I follow? Also can I add cold water to
the plant or do I need to microwave it so it is lukewarm?

Misting: How frequent do I mist? What part of the plant do I mist? How
much should I mist? Should I have fertilizer in the mister?

Watering about once a week right? How do I water, do I pour water all
around the plant till I feel it's soaked then pour out the excess water in
the tray? or do I add water to a tray and let it sit for 45 minutes? Or
something else?

Thanks
Chris

Old 13-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Ray

Generally speaking, a shared-bath nutrient system is to be avoided, as it
provides a potential pathway for plant pathogens.

Go to the URL below and check out the "Semi-Hydroponics" link.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
.com...

Old 13-12-2003, 05:03 PM
J Fortuna

Chris,

Welcome to the group and to Phals :-)

Here are some answers to the best of my knowledge, which admitedly is
limited, but is growing fast: Also I would encourage you to search the
archives of this group
http://groups.google.com/groups?grou...ardens.orchids
Lots of useful advice has been given.

Go to http://www.firstrays.com for information and materials for
hydroponics.

Do you have a window which you can place your Phal in? If so, grow lights
may not be necessary for Phal, they need only low light, and too much light
is not good. Me, I have to suplement the natural light with artificial, but
that's only because all I have are northern windows shaded by huge trees
outside, so that's too little light, but as long as you have more than that,
try growing your Phals without a grow light for a while first. Only get grow
lights if a) yoir Phal's leaves are too dark and it won't rebloom for you
without the light; b) You want the flexibility of palcing the plant
somewhere away from the window; or c) You want to get other orchids not just
Phals.

Opinions on how much to fertilize seem to vary, but my understanding is that
either the lowest amount listed on the bottle or even half that should be
enough. Too much fertilizer will be harmful, and will reduce your chance of
reblooming. It's better to underfertilize than to overfertilize, just as
it's better to water less frequently than to water too frequently.

Water needs to be lukewarm, but not too warm. Why do you want to microwave
it though? You can get lukewarm from the faucet, or put some water in a
bottle and let it stand in room temp, and it will be lukewarm. I once heard
that if you let the water stand, at least some of the minerals from the tap
water will settle on the bottom, which may be a good thing.

Misting is again a topic on which I found people are devided. One side of
the debate argues that misting makes no difference, since you would have to
mist constantly to make a noticable difference in humidity. Some people say
that misting the leaves and roots in the morning simulates dew on the plant.
Others are big fans of misting whenever they pass the plant. I have not
heard anyone suggest adding fertilizer in the mister though.

Most people say that it is best not to water by schedule, but rather to
water when the plant needs it. If your Phal is potted in moss, touch the
surface and water when the surface is dry. If it is in bark, check the
weight of the pot in your hand until you can figure out how light it is when
it needs water versus how heavy when just watered. Some claim this is easy,
me I can't tell enough of a difference in weight to know for sure when to
water, so for Phals in bark I check the weight, but also keep track of the
schedule when each plant was last watered, and mostly water the big ones in
bark every two weeks or so. Of course if you decide to repot in hydroponics
or semi-hydro the watering schedule will change.

It is best to water in the morning rather than in the evening, so that the
leaves are dry by night. Pour a lot of water from above and let it drain
well -- excess water should be removed from the tray, unless you have a
humidity tray that is below the plant but the plant is not standing in the
water.

.com...

Old 13-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Frank H. Kirchner

I am in the process of learning how to grow in semihydroponics. I haven't
yet tried it with my phals as I'm waiting for them to finish their bloom
before switching over. So far, the plants I have started are really happy.
All are putting out new roots and just looking happier. I tend to be an
overwaterer and that problem has virtually disappeared now. I have used
Ray's website for information and have purchased my supplies from him. If
he wanted to write the orchid Bible, I would read it. His information has
always been to the money and would encourage you to follow the directives in
his website. I think you'll be happy as will your plants.

Happy Holidays!
Frank
.com...

Old 13-12-2003, 11:42 PM
molli

Frank, speaking strictly from my perspective, I've had no trouble moving
phals in full bloom/spike/bud (take your pick) into semi hydro. Infact two
that were in full glorious bloom when I got them are doing wonderfully. A
phal I bought in tight bud, didn't miss a beat, nothing blasted, and I"m
anxiously waiting for it to open so I can post pics.

--

Hugs,
Molli

"Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message
I am in the process of learning how to grow in semihydroponics. I haven't
yet tried it with my phals as I'm waiting for them to finish their bloom
before switching over. So far, the plants I have started are really

happy.
All are putting out new roots and just looking happier. I tend to be an
overwaterer and that problem has virtually disappeared now. I have used
Ray's website for information and have purchased my supplies from him. If
he wanted to write the orchid Bible, I would read it. His information has
always been to the money and would encourage you to follow the directives

in
his website. I think you'll be happy as will your plants.

Happy Holidays!
Frank
.com...

Old 14-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Claude

Frank!

I`m growing Phal , Paph, Onc and Tel in S/H with great success.

Good luck

Claude

Old 14-12-2003, 02:32 AM

Hi Chris. Beginner here too. Did you get all your questions
answered? I'll try and help you with what I've learned. I have a
Phalaenopsis - - so use this info. for that, other orchids are
different, read up on the type you have.
Don't overwater! I killed my first orchid that way, only water
when the medium is dry. My orchid is just this side of dry now and I'm
gonna water it with a jug of rain water I keep next to it tomorrow.
It's under a plant light next to an east window with blinds half way
open. LIght during the day, plant light for awhile in the evening.
Don't use potting soil! Phal's hate it. And don't let water stand
under it in a tray.
Ferlilize maybe once a week and I don't think you want to fertilize
now cause orchids like to grow when fertilized and not bloom. (I think
mixing half strength is for when you have a fertilizer not specific to
orchids.) You can mist if you want to, but do it so the plant is dry by
nightfall. Watch for wrinkly leaves, and use a wall type heater vent on
top of a pebble tray half way full of water for humidity. There - how's
that for starters? Hope it helps, ask anything you want, from the
answers I've read here people are real professionals.....Burr

Old 14-12-2003, 05:02 AM
J Fortuna

Molli,

Interesting. I wonder whether you were just lucky or whether people
exaggerate when they say that one should avoid repotting orchids when in
spike, bud or bloom. I would have thought that if orchids shouldn't be
repotted when in spike, then moving them to semi-hydro when in spike should
be even more risky, since if I understand correctly they need to grow
completely new roots to take advantage of semi-hydro. Am I misunderstanding
something?

I do not have any first hand experience with semi-hydro yet myself -- I keep
thinking that I should try it though, since it does sound interesting and
others have such good experience with it. I have this one plant (a Phal
bellina) which has been suffering from chronic root rot, and I wonder
whether it would be a good candidate for semi-hydro. I wouldn't want to risk
yet one of my plants that have been doing well in their current medium --
why fix it if it ain't broken + if something went wrong, if I understood
correctly, one can move from another medium to semi-hydro, but not back
again, right?

Joanna

"molli" wrote in message
[...]

.com...

Old 14-12-2003, 05:02 AM
molli

Joanna, I've also moved a few that hated semi hydro back to different
medium. I think Ray should be the one to chime in here, as he's had much
more experience with it than I have. The in bud phal I moved to s/h was
packed tight in sphag, teeny plug in the center that was rock hard. When I
get plants from certain vendors, I repot immediately upon receiving them,
even if they are in bud/bloom or I know they wont make it here.

--

Hugs,
Molli

"molli" wrote in message
[...]

.com...

Old 14-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Ray

Joanna,

The degree of "shock" that a plant experiences when being transplanted is
dependent o upon a number of factors, and that degree is what determines if
it's enough to be a problem for the plant that is in spike, bud, or bloom.
That applies to ANY repot, not just into S/H culture.

For example, I used to grow a lot of phals in sphagnum, and as it can become
soppy with age and compacting, moving plants from it to S/H was a walk in
the park, with the plants actually perking up quite a bit afterwards, rather
than suffering any.

It's always possible to move a plant to- or from S/H culture, it's not that
much different!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

"molli" wrote in message
[...]

.com...

Old 14-12-2003, 07:46 PM
J Fortuna

Thanks Ray and Molli,

Hmm. I guess I will have to seriously consider trying semi-hydro then,
especially for that Phal bellina of mine that could really use a boost to
perk up.

Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
Joanna,

The degree of "shock" that a plant experiences when being transplanted is
dependent o upon a number of factors, and that degree is what determines

if
it's enough to be a problem for the plant that is in spike, bud, or bloom.
That applies to ANY repot, not just into S/H culture.

For example, I used to grow a lot of phals in sphagnum, and as it can

become
soppy with age and compacting, moving plants from it to S/H was a walk in
the park, with the plants actually perking up quite a bit afterwards,

rather
than suffering any.

It's always possible to move a plant to- or from S/H culture, it's not

that
much different!

. . . . . . . . . . .

"molli" wrote in message
[...]

.com...

Old 16-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Kenni Judd

There is a risk, but not a certainty, to repotting orchids in
spike/bud/bloom, that the flowers will abort. It is generally greater, the
fatter the buds, but also varies among different kinds of plants, and
further depends on how much you have to disturb the existing roots in order
to accomplish the repotting. There also appears to be a certain amount of
luck involved G.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 17-12-2003, 12:32 PM
The Enigma

Mines in moss. So I feel the top of the mix in the pot and it feels dry by
if I put my finger a little deeper it starts to get moist. It's been a week
since I've watered it but I have misted it and I refill my well once every 2
days. When Should I water it?

Thanks
Chris
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

.com...

Old 17-12-2003, 09:07 PM
profpam

Hi, Enigma,

That is one of the qualities about moss that makes it user-friendly.
When the moss is dry to the touch, then once again one needs to saturate
it. This, however, is only false for deciduous orchids -- those should
be misted slightly but only watered when new growth appears.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

.com...

Old 18-12-2003, 12:42 AM
J Fortuna

Chris,
Water when the surface of the moss is dry -- when you put the finger in
deeper it should still be moist. If there is any doubt about whether the
surface is dry, wait another day.
Joanna

.com...

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]