GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to Repot a densely rooted Miltoniopsis? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/49080-how-repot-densely-rooted-miltoniopsis.html)

Robert H. Rosenberg 23-12-2003 11:32 PM

How to Repot a densely rooted Miltoniopsis?

I've a miltoniopsis which was repotted commercially 2 years ago.
Although it looks pretty good, I'd like to repot, but when it's out of
the pot I see a dense network of good-looking small roots all through
and around the outside of the medium (bark and some peat moss). There
is no way to get the old medium out without damaging a lot of these
roots.
While it can probably be left for another year or so, it will
eventually have to be repotted.
Any suggestions on how to do this?

RHR

V_coerulea 04-01-2004 10:05 PM

How to Repot a densely rooted Miltoniopsis?

Since no one has responded online, I'll offer my 2 cents. I'm not an expert
on Miltonias but this is what I do. I soak the root ball for 5-10min usually
in a Physan solution since it's inevitable that a lot of damage is going to
be done (unless you're just potting up larger). Even so, the Physan will
kill pathogens in the medium that is left attached to the roots so it won't
be transmitted directly to the new mix. Do this when new growth is starting
and therefore new roots just forming. There will be a certain amount of
setback due to the root loss. This would, of course, be the ideal time to
divide. After making all cuts and damage, soak again in Physan for a few
minutes and pot. I prefer using a mix of coir and sponge rock about 2:1. I'm
experimenting with a little coconut chips thrown in. The coir-sponge rock
avoids a lot of the damage in future repotting. But since coir holds a lot
of water (but also a lot of air) you might have to adjust your watering
habits accordingly. Good luck.
Gary