Old 31-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Bolero

Default Humidity!

I wasn't replying on behalf of people growing on a window sill.

I will replying on behalf on what the plant would prefer to have.

The best growers I know maintain humidity in their green houses at 70% or
more for Phals or Paphs.

I couldn't tell you what "home" growers get because in this country most of
us grow our plants outside and try to maintain ideal conditions.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Sorry for unintentional double post, and I just noticed Boleros reply that
indead objects to my 'good enough' understanding. I would think that for
those of us who are growing Phals on windowsills at home and not in
greenhouses, achieving 70-80% humidity is not really an option. Has anyone
out there been living in a home in 70-80% humidity?

Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message

Most culture sheets for Phals (or Paphs) that I have seen say something

like
"humidity of 50% or higher is ideal". However, Phals are known for being
able to adapt to sub-ideal conditions (and even thrive in them), so I

would
think that 40% humidity is 'good enough' (or will anyone object to

that?).
One related thing that I have read is that good air movement becomes

more
important with higher humidity.

Joanna

"Claude" wrote in message
. ..
Hello everyone!

What is the best percentage of humidity to grow Phal and Paph!

I just bought an hygrometer and it shows 40% of relative humidity. Is

this
good?

Thanks

Claude

P.S : Happy New year, Bonne Année

Old 31-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Bolero

FIne for what?

40% is below the ideal in any sense of the word.

Humidity trays don't work in my opinion either.

"Tom Randy" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:20:05 -0500, Claude wrote:

Hello everyone!

What is the best percentage of humidity to grow Phal and Paph!

I just bought an hygrometer and it shows 40% of relative humidity. Is
this good?

Thanks

Claude

P.S : Happy New year, Bonne Année

It's fine, if you can go a little bit higher it would be slightly better.
A humidity tray or humidifier would help. 40 is fine however.

Old 31-12-2003, 01:58 PM
John M. Gamble

In article ,
Bolero wrote:
FIne for what?

Getting the air above winter-dry and making the orchid less
uncomfortable.

40% is below the ideal in any sense of the word.

Ideal, yes, "achievable by mere mortals who don't own a greenhouse", no.

Humidity trays don't work in my opinion either.

This is flatly untrue. One can reach %40 humidity given
humidity trays and some pebbles (which help with the surface
area that exposes the water).

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.

Old 31-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Ray

Sorry, but humidty trays do very little good in an open room.

Copying from my own page on humidty:

"A general caveat about all of the humidity-enhancing methods described for
in-home growing: remember that unless your growing area is sealed off from
the rest of your home, any effort to raise the humidity level around your
plants is actually trying to raise the humidity of your entire house!
Because of that, especially if there is air circulation due to fans or
forced air heating, the less active methods like the humidity trays appear
to be of very limited value."

Copying an Orchidsource.com post by Todd Zimmerman:

"I am sorry, but "Hmidity trays add 10% to 20% humidity to your room
humidity." is just not possible unless your room is an aquarium.

I have been distressed about this bit of published folk lore ever since I
began growing.

Without going into the physics of it....

I have sat in a small, room with no ventilation, taking readings every five
minutes (trials of ten readings) from a hygrometer suspended 10" above an
open seedling tray of water (leaf height), and found no difference
(statistically significant or even imaginarily noticable) when compared to
readings taken above the same tray when it was dry. The hygrometer was
tested between trials and the room allowed to vent fully.

In addition to the vapor input to the room from the tray (surface areas
about 1.5 square feet), my lungs (surface area coparable to that of a tennis
court) were actively pumping warm air, at a humidity of 95%, into that same
room. Even that did not increase the humidity readings more than 2% from the
beginning of a trial to the end (equally for both wet and dry trays).

Pots over the tray would reduce the effective evaporative surface area of
the tray. Plants will increase humidity by transpiration and by slowing air
movement. Fans will move water vapor away from the plants.

Someone said that there was a similar study published in Orchids magazine
several years ago (with the same conclusions)."

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 31-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Bolero

Again, didn't know I was dealing with people who couldn't grow outside and
that the question was targetted at only those people.

It is still less than ideal......

Are you saying that those that own a greenhouse are more than mere mortals?
I paid hardly anything for mine, but then again my climate allows for it.

Old 31-12-2003, 01:58 PM
kenty ;-\)

40% will probably be at the lower end of the scale, the humidity ,will
obviously rise at night.I grow in a loft on a largish tray with clay pebbles
for humidity,at the end of the day when the heating has been on humidity
falls to around 40/45% rising upto around 60% sometimes higher.I spray every
morning with a fine mist,which instantly raises the humidity & by the end of
the day the plants have dried off for the night .This is obviously harder to
do when you grow on a windowsill or similar.Humidity is hard to maintain
were ever you grow,once you know how low & high humidity gets in your
situation you tend to stop worrying about it & get on with your routine.
Happy New Year to Everyone:-)
Kenty
u...

Old 31-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Ray

Claude,

The same applies to S/H pots effect on humidity as it does for trays - they
are adding some humidity, but you're in effect, humidifying the entire room
and home or apartment. In other words, the effect is minimal. Minimal plus
minimal is still minimal.

I suppose that a phalaenopsis with its leaves spread out flat over the
medium are seeing a localized boost in RH, but as little as a few inches
above the medium and the effect pretty much vanishes.

Two more comments:

1. How are your plants doing? If the answer is "well," then don't
fret. If the answer isn't that positive,
2. Consider getting a console humidifier with sufficient capacity to
raise the RH to somewhere in the 50% - 60% range. Not only will your plants
like it, but you will, as well.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Claude" wrote in message
.. .
Thank you everyone!

I must say that I grow all my plant in S/H culture and I`m wondering if
humidity is an issue with that method of culture.

My pots are on wooden shelve with fluorescent light. During the day, the
humidity goes aroud 40 to 45 % and at night goes up to 55 %.
Should I be concerned? Should I put all my pots on trays with water

knowing
they are already in S/H culture????

Thanks

Claude

Happy New Year to all!
Bonne et Heureuse Année à Tous!

Old 31-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Bolero

Good Point!

Happy New Year to you too.

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
40% will probably be at the lower end of the scale, the humidity ,will
obviously rise at night.I grow in a loft on a largish tray with clay

pebbles
for humidity,at the end of the day when the heating has been on humidity
falls to around 40/45% rising upto around 60% sometimes higher.I spray

every
morning with a fine mist,which instantly raises the humidity & by the end

of
the day the plants have dried off for the night .This is obviously harder

do when you grow on a windowsill or similar.Humidity is hard to maintain
were ever you grow,once you know how low & high humidity gets in your
situation you tend to stop worrying about it & get on with your routine.
Happy New Year to Everyone:-)
Kenty
u...

Old 31-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Bolero

Good Point!

Happy New Year to you too.

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
40% will probably be at the lower end of the scale, the humidity ,will
obviously rise at night.I grow in a loft on a largish tray with clay

pebbles
for humidity,at the end of the day when the heating has been on humidity
falls to around 40/45% rising upto around 60% sometimes higher.I spray

every
morning with a fine mist,which instantly raises the humidity & by the end

of
the day the plants have dried off for the night .This is obviously harder

do when you grow on a windowsill or similar.Humidity is hard to maintain
were ever you grow,once you know how low & high humidity gets in your
situation you tend to stop worrying about it & get on with your routine.
Happy New Year to Everyone:-)
Kenty
u...

Old 31-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Claude

Thanks Ray!

My Phals are in active growing and they have all new growth of roots, leaves
or spikes.

I did add a console humidifier in my appartement to raise the relative
humidity at first for myself, then I was just wondering about my phals.

This morning, I just misted my phals with some water and the RH went up to
60 %.
I think I will add some trays under my pots, just to give them a boost!

Thanks again

Happy New year

Claude

humidity tray M&M Australia 0 18-08-2003 03:31 AM
humidity tray M&M Australia 0 18-08-2003 03:03 AM
humidity tray M&M Australia 0 18-08-2003 03:01 AM
bamboo popping sounds due to humidity changes? Dan Jacobson Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:25 PM
was Bulb. Vaginatum now Humidity in the Window Sill Dave Sheehy Orchids 2 11-03-2003 07:57 PM