GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Humidity! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/49357-humidity.html)

Claude 30-12-2003 02:32 AM

Humidity!

Hello everyone!

What is the best percentage of humidity to grow Phal and Paph!

I just bought an hygrometer and it shows 40% of relative humidity. Is this
good?

Thanks

Claude

P.S : Happy New year, Bonne Année

Bolero 30-12-2003 05:02 AM

Humidity!

40% isn't high enough.

Needs to be at least 60% with 70% to 80% being closer to the ideal figure.

. ..

J Fortuna 30-12-2003 05:02 AM

Humidity!

Most culture sheets for Phals (or Paphs) that I have seen say something like
"humidity of 50% or higher is ideal". However, Phals are known for being
able to adapt to sub-ideal conditions (and even thrive in them), so I would
think that 40% humidity is 'good enough' (or will anyone object to that?).
One related thing that I have read is that good air movement becomes more
important with higher humidity.

Joanna

. ..

J Fortuna 30-12-2003 05:02 AM

Humidity!

Sorry for unintentional double post, and I just noticed Boleros reply that
indead objects to my 'good enough' understanding. I would think that for
those of us who are growing Phals on windowsills at home and not in
greenhouses, achieving 70-80% humidity is not really an option. Has anyone
out there been living in a home in 70-80% humidity?

Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message

Most culture sheets for Phals (or Paphs) that I have seen say something

like
"humidity of 50% or higher is ideal". However, Phals are known for being
able to adapt to sub-ideal conditions (and even thrive in them), so I

would
think that 40% humidity is 'good enough' (or will anyone object to

that?).
One related thing that I have read is that good air movement becomes more
important with higher humidity.

Joanna

. ..

Susan Erickson 30-12-2003 05:42 AM

Humidity!

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:55:09 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Sorry for unintentional double post, and I just noticed Boleros reply that
indead objects to my 'good enough' understanding. I would think that for
those of us who are growing Phals on windowsills at home and not in
greenhouses, achieving 70-80% humidity is not really an option. Has anyone
out there been living in a home in 70-80% humidity?

Joanna

Joanna & Claude,

40% is very good for most houses. Joanna is correct, Phals are
'house plant' material. They will love 'human' temperatures and
can survive our humidity, with an extra watering now and again.
If your growing on a windowsill, group the plants together and
add foliage plants to the area. This will make the immediate
area higher slightly, as well as look more decorative.

If your growing under lights; can you restrict the air from
leaving the area but use a fan to keep it circulating? You can
then bubble up an aquarium airstone in a glass of water to pump a
touch more humidity into the plant area. This also works if your
using an old aquarium for an orchidarium.

SuE

Tom Randy 30-12-2003 11:02 AM

Humidity!

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:20:05 -0500, Claude wrote:

Hello everyone!

What is the best percentage of humidity to grow Phal and Paph!

I just bought an hygrometer and it shows 40% of relative humidity. Is
this good?

Thanks

Claude

P.S : Happy New year, Bonne Année

It's fine, if you can go a little bit higher it would be slightly better.
A humidity tray or humidifier would help. 40 is fine however.

Diana Kulaga 31-12-2003 12:33 AM

Humidity!

You can then bubble up an aquarium airstone in a glass of water to pump a
touch more humidity into the plant area

Ah! If I grew indoors, there would finally be a use for the airstone in our
salt water fish tank, which presently holds one surviving banded coral
shrimp.

TG the orchids have done better than the ill-fated fish!

Diana
!

Bolero 31-12-2003 01:06 PM

Humidity!

I for one will disagree with that.

The very best results are achieved with humidity above 60%, there is no way
you can achieve great results with 40%.

The plants will survive and may well flower but not as well as they can.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message

Most culture sheets for Phals (or Paphs) that I have seen say something

like
"humidity of 50% or higher is ideal". However, Phals are known for being
able to adapt to sub-ideal conditions (and even thrive in them), so I

would
think that 40% humidity is 'good enough' (or will anyone object to

that?).
One related thing that I have read is that good air movement becomes more
important with higher humidity.

Joanna

. ..

Bolero 31-12-2003 01:13 PM

Humidity!

I wasn't replying on behalf of people growing on a window sill.

I will replying on behalf on what the plant would prefer to have.

The best growers I know maintain humidity in their green houses at 70% or
more for Phals or Paphs.

I couldn't tell you what "home" growers get because in this country most of
us grow our plants outside and try to maintain ideal conditions.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message

Most culture sheets for Phals (or Paphs) that I have seen say something

like
"humidity of 50% or higher is ideal". However, Phals are known for being
able to adapt to sub-ideal conditions (and even thrive in them), so I

would
think that 40% humidity is 'good enough' (or will anyone object to

that?).
One related thing that I have read is that good air movement becomes

more
important with higher humidity.

Joanna

. ..

Bolero 31-12-2003 01:20 PM

Humidity!

FIne for what?

40% is below the ideal in any sense of the word.

Humidity trays don't work in my opinion either.

John M. Gamble 31-12-2003 01:26 PM

Humidity!

In article ,
Bolero wrote:
FIne for what?

Getting the air above winter-dry and making the orchid less
uncomfortable.

40% is below the ideal in any sense of the word.

Ideal, yes, "achievable by mere mortals who don't own a greenhouse", no.

Humidity trays don't work in my opinion either.

This is flatly untrue. One can reach %40 humidity given
humidity trays and some pebbles (which help with the surface
area that exposes the water).

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.