Old 06-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Reka

Default cleaning orchid leaves

"Rob Halgren" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Reka wrote:

"Rob Halgren" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I'd bet good money that you couldn't hurt a standard cattleya
with battery acid, as long as you wiped it off right away.

Dare you to try, Rob! Post pics on ABPO! ;-)

I guess somebody else will have to try it, I can't get ABPO. *grin*

Grin right back at you! I would be more than happy to post for you! ;-)
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 06-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:29:23 +0100, "Reka"
wrote:

Grin right back at you! I would be more than happy to post for you! ;-)

Reka you beat me to the offer.
Hope you and the boys are well in the New Year.

SuE

Old 06-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Rob Halgren

I guess somebody else will have to try it, I can't get ABPO. *grin*

Grin right back at you! I would be more than happy to post for you! ;-)

Hmmm. What other lame excuse can I come up with... Actually I
don't have any hard water marks on my cattleyas... There, that is a good
one. And true, since I use only RO water... And I don't really have
that many cattleyas.

Although since I've been called out on it, I will donate a plant to
science and see what happens. I'll even wear gloves. So, with a low
number of replicates (1) it counts for beans, but how about this for an
experiment...

One leaf washed with 1N sulphuric acid (battery acid - IIRC,
although to be a true test I should use the same concentration as in a
car battery. Anybody know?)
One leaf washed with 0.1N sulphuric acid
One leaf washed with 1N acetic acid
One leaf washed with 0.1N acetic acid
One leaf left unwashed

Observations at 0,1,3,7, and 14 days.

I can't get sulphamic acid (actually I can, but I'd have to wait
several weeks to get it), and I don't think I have any oxalic acid.

I think I have an old Hausermanns yellow cattleya that has enough
leads on it to try the experiment, although it isn't particularly well
grown. Any other conditions I should try?

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 06-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Ray

GrinWould you all just quit the "experimentation" rhetoric and just buy
some Rise & Shine, please?/Grin

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Rob Halgren" wrote in message

I guess somebody else will have to try it, I can't get ABPO. *grin*

Grin right back at you! I would be more than happy to post for you!

;-)

Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Pat Brennan

Back when I had my spring, I used to spray down all my plants with citric
acid every couple of months. I was told it turned the calcium build up to
calcium citrate which was water soluble. I do not know if that is true, but
it did help reduce the buildup on the leaves. With my new water, I would be
afraid to spray that much acid around the roots. It is hard enough keeping
the pH up. Good thing the plants do not need it any more. Now I use the
citric acid to clean the RO membranes. I get the citric acid in 50 pound
bags packaged for lemonade stands.

Pat

Old 07-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Rob Halgren

Ray wrote:

GrinWould you all just quit the "experimentation" rhetoric and just buy
some Rise & Shine, please?/Grin

Finally! An excuse I can live with... *grin* Now if only my leaves
needed cleaning....