Old 03-01-2004, 09:32 PM
J Fortuna

Default cleaning orchid leaves

I just read in the rec.gardens.orchids archives that many people use 'milk'
to clean their orchid leaves? However, while at least one post claimed that
there is no smell, another post claimed that as a result the smell can be
very strong. Hmm. Since I live in a small apartment I don't want the place
smelling of milk gone bad. Has anyone out here now used milk, and if so,
does it smell or not?

What is the best way to clean/dust leaves in your experience?

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 03-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Diana Kulaga

Joanna,

I have used milk, and detected no after odor. However, we grow outside, so
it might not be as noticeable. Nevertheless, mild dish soap and water works
very well for me, as does alcohol. The milk seems to give the leaf a matte,
'finished' look. So, if I'm going to show a plant, I'll clean it up with
Ivory or alcohol and then give it a light rub with milk.

Diana

Old 04-01-2004, 01:40 AM
giorgio & errica

an experienced gardener suggested me a mixture milk-beer and water (same
parts), but still have to try!
ciao
giorgio
-italy-
(sorry for my english)

Old 04-01-2004, 02:32 AM
J Fortuna

Thank you Diana and giorgio.

Giorgio, welcome to the group!

I may try the milk or milk mixture someday -- if my husband David will let
me, since we share the same apartment after all, and he is very concerned
about the possible smell. He suggested that maybe orchids like milk only in
that, after applying milk, they stink and then one needs to apply a fan, and
they like the fan. :-)

So on second thought, I might try the mild dish soap first and see the
result. If it is good enough, I might avoid disconcerting David and not use
the milk after all.

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 04-01-2004, 03:17 AM
Claude

I use Fresh lemon juice. It work well and no smell!

Claude

Old 04-01-2004, 04:10 AM
Ray

As Mick was so kind as to post the url of the "best" orchid site, I'll throw
my hat in the ring with Rise & Shine as an excellent leaf cleaner / shine,
with some apparent insecticidal properties as well.

And if you don't like the commercial, check out the "Home Remedies" for a
few other alternatives.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 04-01-2004, 04:34 AM
Bolero

Doesn't just a damp cloth and water clean dust and stuff off them?

That's all I use and my leaves are clean..........or are you trying to clean
off something specific.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Ray

More often than not, it's the mineral deposits from hard water that have to
be removed, not just dust -- that's easy.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
u...

Old 04-01-2004, 06:12 AM
J Fortuna

Bolero,

I guess I am just trying to be a bit more perfectionist here, and trying to
clean off the "water stains" and make the leaves look shinier/newer/fresher.
Mostly I think it's spring fever (the weather was really glorious like
spring in the DC area today, and maybe that made me think that spring
cleaning should be started, or something). Also I got two new orchids
yesterday, and their leaves look cleaner than my older ones, which did have
dust and/or water stains. I did use a damp cloth first, but the result was
not perfect, the leaves still looked like they could be cleaned better.
Probably I am just fussing over the orchids too much.

Joanna

u...

Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Bolero

Ah that's why I didn't understand.

We have soft water here (around 60 to 80ppm) so we don't get mineral
residues on our leaves.

Thanks for clearing up that one.

"Ray" wrote in message
More often than not, it's the mineral deposits from hard water that have

be removed, not just dust -- that's easy.

. . . . . . . . . . .
u...

Old 04-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Bolero

No not really, if you get mineral residue and stuff like that it makes sense
to wipe them off.

I don't think you can ever fuss too much........;-)

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Bolero,

I guess I am just trying to be a bit more perfectionist here, and trying

clean off the "water stains" and make the leaves look

shinier/newer/fresher.
Mostly I think it's spring fever (the weather was really glorious like
spring in the DC area today, and maybe that made me think that spring
cleaning should be started, or something). Also I got two new orchids
yesterday, and their leaves look cleaner than my older ones, which did

have
dust and/or water stains. I did use a damp cloth first, but the result was
not perfect, the leaves still looked like they could be cleaned better.
Probably I am just fussing over the orchids too much.

Joanna

u...

Old 04-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Reka

Ciao, Giorgio!

Benvenuto al gruppo! Where are you in Italy? I am way up north in
Sudtirolo.
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"giorgio & errica" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

an experienced gardener suggested me a mixture milk-beer and water (same
parts), but still have to try!
ciao
giorgio
-italy-