Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Yc

Default Media for semi hydroponic

Happy New Year everyone!

LTNS to those I used to chat with.

After 3 years of benign neglect, my orchids are demanding a more
sophisticated neglect. Hence semi hydroponic.

I cannot find a Canadian supplier for the PrimeAgra clay pellets that
Ray Barkalow of First Rays Orchids uses for his semi hydroponic
culture. (Of course I can buy them from Ray, but I am trying to avoid
paying UPS to ship rocks.) Does anyone know of a Canadian supplier of
PrimeAgra?

Failing that, has anyone used other expanded clay pellets called
Hydroton or another called Hydrocorn? Those are the two brands I can
find locally. How do they compare to PrimeAgra?

Thanks.

Yc
Old 05-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Ray

Yc,

As I have already answered directly, there is no current distributor of
PrimeAgra in Canada. I am the importer to North America, so I should
know... But I'm always looking! (Anyone interested?)

I have no personal experience with either hydroton or hydrocorn, but if
those are what's available, why not give them a try?

.. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 05-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Joflo

I've used Hydroton as SH medium for several years and my plants do quite
well. I've used it for almost everything, my only plants not in it are a
Restrepia and a Pleurothallis which are in perlite and Ludisia discolor and
a Calanthe which are in soil. I've bloomed Slc hybrids, Brassavola nodosa,
Den. nobile hybrids, Burrageara, etc. The worst thing about the Hydroton is
its shape, when one drops a pot the pellets roll all over.

Johanna

. ..

Old 05-01-2004, 08:42 PM
molli

I also use Hydroton, since the place I get it from is just up the road from
me. Equitant oncidiums do not do well in it, and I have my masdevallia's in
sphag. Like Johanna said, if you drop a pot it goes all over..and like your
wire clothes hangers, it will multiply on the floor!

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 06-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Frank H. Kirchner

Hi Yc-
I've recently switched to SH media am loving it. I too struggled about
whether it was worth the cost of the Prime Agra as we have a local
hydroponics store selling the Hydrocorn. I have used both over about a six
month period. Both grow the plants very well but I find the Prime Agra much
more satisfying as it stays put. The Hydrocorn tends to float and due to
it's roundness and more regular surface doesn't seen to hold the plant as
well. I don't have the experience yet to know whether with time and more
established root growth the plant will better anchor itself. I vote for
Prime Agra.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Frank
. ..

Old 06-01-2004, 10:02 PM
COLITO

what about using pumice stone for sh culture??
will it work if u keep a high humidity.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:06 PM
COLITO

Old 06-01-2004, 10:17 PM
COLITO

Old 07-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Claude

Hi!

I use the Hydroton with no problem. I grow mostly Phal, Paph, Onc.

Claude

Old 07-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Wendy

Where do you find good sized pumice, I am looking for some for
my outdoor growers???
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"COLITO" wrote in message
what about using pumice stone for sh culture??
will it work if u keep a high humidity.

Semi Hydroponic algae [email protected] Orchids 0 26-01-2017 03:56 PM
Semi-Hydroponic gerald Orchids 6 24-11-2006 10:34 PM
Media for semi hydroponic (corrected email) Yc Orchids 0 06-01-2004 07:02 AM
Any hydroponic gardeners here? Claude Gardening 2 14-02-2003 09:27 PM
hydroponic basil speeder Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:08 PM