Old 06-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Stuie

Default Cymbidium Ruby

Hi all
Anyone know anything about Cymbidium Ruby? Its real parents (guess?)
any history, a photo perhaps of the RHS clone?????
THANKS
STUART
Sydney Australia
Old 06-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Dewitt

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:03:19 -0700, Susan Erickson
wrote:

According to Wildcatt - The cross was made in 1936 and the
parents are UNKNOWN. Registered by Crombleholme.

I didn't think you could register an unknown. That was a few years
back. Wonder if such a registration could get pushed through today.

deg

Old 08-01-2004, 10:05 PM
tom

"Stuie" wrote in message
om...
Hi all
Anyone know anything about Cymbidium Ruby? Its real parents (guess?)
any history, a photo perhaps of the RHS clone?????
THANKS
STUART
Sydney Australia

The International Orchid Register
Orchid Search Results page

Genus
Cymbidium

Epithet
Ruby

Seed Parent

Genus
na

Epithet
?

Pollen Parent

Genus
na

Epithet
?

Registrant

Crombleholme

Originator
Crombleholme

Date of registration

1/1/1936

Old 09-01-2004, 05:09 PM
K Barrett

I asked a friend about this. He said that exactly what's been said here.
That way back at the dawn on time (1936) this plant Cym Ruby was used a lot
in hybridization, yet it had never been officially registered. So what then
is the orchid registrar going to do with all these hybrids? Throw out a
whole line of cymbidium breeding? Can't be done. So one can only register
it as "Parentage Unknown" and move on. Additionally he mentioned that some
Cymbidium hybridizers intentionally lied about their crosses. Jealously
protecting their hybrid lines. When people go back and try to re-create
these hybrids they can't match the originals. Caveat emptor. Or maybe I
should say: just one more orchid detail that we have to remember.

When Worlds Collide - Today there is a very popular white nobile-type
dendrobium called Den Emma or Den Emma White. Same sort of situation could
occur here. Den Emma Whites are a very popular plant in the pot plant
industry. Its originator, a huge conglomerate, never registered the name
Den Emma or Emmas White, why should they mess with something as stupid as
registration when the are only concerned with making money off a very nice
plant? But if someone used it extensively and for generations in their
hybridizing program, what would Julian Shaw (the orchid registrar) do? He
could protest, but eventually he'd have to recognize it as "Unknown" and
move on.

Yes. Its the downfall of Western Civilization as we know it and is a clarion
call that the Barbarians are at the Gates. With a capital 'T' and that
rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'Pool'.

K Barrett

"tom" wrote in message
m...

"Stuie" wrote in message
[...]

Date of registration

1/1/1936

Old 09-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 17:03:22 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

.....................clip........................ ........
Yes. Its the downfall of Western Civilization as we know it and is a clarion
call that the Barbarians are at the Gates. With a capital 'T' and that
rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'Pool'.

K Barrett

It is not just the Den. In the Far East where most of the Ascda
and lots of Neofinetia hybrids are being made today, it is
considered bad business to tell what was used to make the cross.
So we are going into another time of lots of vandaceous stuff
especially the cute little things - miss-identified or
deliberately named but not registered. I have a lovely
mini-cym., a chinese hybrid, called Cym Summer Perfume. It is
even delightfully scented. Not registered and no trail as to who
did it or where it came from. I have found 4-5 vendors selling
it, none of them know where it came from.
SuE
Old 10-01-2004, 04:02 AM
K Barrett

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 17:03:22 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

.....................clip........................ ........
[...]

Ticks you off, don't it? And here we are trying to stretch our brains to
remember all this data, and the B*stards can lie about it. Sure a rose isd a
rose and all that, but sheesh.

K Barrett

Old 10-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:51:10 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:
Ticks you off, don't it? And here we are trying to stretch our brains to
remember all this data, and the B*stards can lie about it. Sure a rose isd a
rose and all that, but sheesh.

K Barrett

The worst was it is cute, floriferous and smells good. It has
two spikes on it right now. And I cannot do a thing to show it.
SuE

Old 10-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:36:25 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

A pic on APBO?

This is a better view...
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/Cymbidium/aae

Also I have been having trouble getting them to size right of
late. John says it is hell getting old. . Of course he only says
it when he is out of range.
SuE