Old 07-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default RGO going down the drain?

Wow, Joanna, you're doing the research! I had no idea that I would be up
there as that frequent a poster. I must have more time on my hands than I
thought. G

Diana

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Wendy,
You will have to post more in order to retain this status though. If you
look at just the last quarter's posts instead of the entire year, Wendy

has
lost some ground:

whole year in rgo:
1
2

3

4 "Ray @ First Rays Orchids"

last quarter only in rgo:
1

2

3

4

5

6

7

So as you can see, you will have to post more Wendy :-)

Joanna

"Wendy" wrote in message
Ahhh! Gosh! blush Thanks Reka.
Who d'thunk? If this is true, it's only because of my Plantar fasciitis

sp?
I rest at my computer after taking photos & also have done more reading
in the last 10 years than in my whole life!
I am off to check out your urls & 3 cheers for Mark Twain! *g*
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Reka" wrote in message
P.S. Wendy is the most prolific poster if you combine both groups,

taking
first place in ABPO and second in RGO! Wo-o-o-o, Wendy!
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Reka" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news Got this site from another NG. Apparently, we are losing ground.

In
few
years, no one will be posting here but us old-timers... ;-)

http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...mespan=y&searc
hfor=rec.gardens.orchids&searchdate=11%2F30%2F2003

ABPO looks better, only the length of posts has been reduced(have we
finally
convinced everyone to post smaller pics???).

http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...mespan=y&searc
hfor=alt.binaries.pictures.orchids&searchdate=11%2 F30%2F2003
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

---

Old 09-01-2004, 09:03 PM
profpam

I doubt RGO "is going down the drain" although there are several other
orchid groups to which people subscribe these days. Unlike some of the
other groups, RGO does not solicit money for the sake of staying alive
eventhough there is nothing wrong with finance drives.

In the years that I have been on this forum, I have meet so many
wonderful people, learned so much about orchids, asked many questions,
answered many questions, and truly enjoy the group.

I am most certain that RGO has an abundance of silent subscribers --
those who are reluctant to ask questions but read all of the posts.
Time is often a valuable commodity, and I am most certain that many
folks peruse the newgroups as they do a newspaper, reading the subject
line and then perhaps reading just the posts that pertain to the
individual. I doubt that people are losing interest in orchids and RGO.
The AOS article, "Orchid Popularity Still “GROWING” In U.S.
http://www.orchidweb.org/ tells us "Orchids are second behind
poinsettias, which experienced a three percent decrease with $247
million in sales. . ." This is to say that there is an ever increasing
potential audience out there for RGO.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Me too, Ray. I enjoy this group, and all in it.

Diana

"Ray" wrote in message
I won't claim a headache, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's still

around,
I'll be here.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Wendy" wrote in message
Is it just me or does anyone else get a headache studying all that data?
Has anyone clicked on the "Profile" ? It displays all the news groups

you
have looked at or joined? There are a couple under my addy that I know I
have not joined?
Weird, no wonder I am getting so much spam.

Old 10-01-2004, 03:05 AM
mg

When did ABPO start? That would have offloaded a lot of traffic from
RGO ...

Reka wrote:
"J Fortuna" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Yes, I noticed that too. So maybe the statistics about the number of

people

going down by so and so much is not accurate either. What if rgo lost a

few

people who were using multiple email addresses?

But I don't think it's a matter of using multiples, more of
change-of-address type of thing, Joanna. I changed ISP and had to get a new
addy.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:32 AM

profpam wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi all. Guess I'm a lurker. However I've asked a couple of
questions, and made some comments. There must be some lurkers
however, because one of the questions I asked was answered directly to
my e mail account. That individual has not responded to this thread.

Best wishes to all, and yes I've lurked, read, and asked. Wonderful
group.

Thank you all,

Nancy

Old 10-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Reka

Folks, don't take things so seriously! I had qualified that post with a
;-), if you look carefully. I just thought it was an interesting set of
data. BTW, I think ABPO took nothing away from RGO, since the oohing and
ahing is done there, the discussion mainly here, plus most of the members
are the same ones, give or take a few. BTW, ABPO started in November 2001,
but didn't really get going until a month later or so.
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Susan Erickson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:11:21 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote:

"mg" wrote in message ...

When did ABPO start? That would have offloaded a lot of traffic from
RGO ...

My guess would be in the summer of 2000? Kye where are you?
How time flies.

As far as the traffic I participate in both groups & the diehards are on
both. Posting to the binaries does save posting a url with a web page

though &
then there are some that don't have access to it .
Cheers Wendy

I think it increased the traffic. We could now show our pictures
and talk about them at greater length. If you got ABPO you had
the photo. So many times web addresses would not be complete, or
would not open unless you belonged to the club; or had been set
for special public view. With ABPO it was just the initial
hassle with and ISP and your set. I also don't think RGO is
going any where down hill. Every year we get some quiet time and
some not so quiet times. Spring has sprung I just found a couple
of blooming surprises and Rhynchostylis gigantea has two spikes.
I can hardly believe it. Oh, and I saw the start of a spike on
a new Bulbo.

Now all I have to do is get thru Tax season.

SuE

---

Old 11-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:57:52 +0100, "Reka"
wrote in Message-Id: :

I think ABPO took nothing away from RGO, since the oohing and
ahing is done there, the discussion mainly here,

Just as a point of information, discussion in binary newsgroups has
traditionally been inappropriate, because binary newsgroups are not
archived on Google. Thus the textural content is lost to postarity.
Perhaps this could be overcome by crosposting abpo text messages to
rgo, or at least the messages that contain information as opposed to
chit chat.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Ray

A good point, Larry.

r.g.o is great for general discussion, and if you run into a problem that
may be better resolved by posting a photo and asking about it, the
discussion should remain here, with the photos posted on a.b.p.o.
Inevitably, the discussion will end up over there, but it really should be
kept here for continuity and for archiving.

Then there are the folks who don't get a.b.p.o that will miss the discussion
otherwise. Always keep in mind that we're here to share, so ought to do
what we can to make that as broad as possible.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Diana Kulaga

Nancy,

Come out, come out, wherever you are! S

Diana

wrote in message
m...

Old 13-01-2004, 12:32 AM
J Fortuna

Before I started posting on RGO I was a lurker for a long time. I found that
the first message or two after de-lurking were very hard to write. I was
very nervous about making a first impression, and not making a fool of
myself. Sometimes I still have second thoughts after hitting the Send
button, wishing I could undo the post. Most of the time I try not to think
of the fact that what I say here is available to anyone, anywhere, and will
be archived for posterity.

I really enjoy being part of this group though, and I have loosened up
considerably. One thing that I appreciate about this group is that
experienced growers treat inexperienced ones with respect and patience here.
I have noticed that there are newsgroups out there where one can get flamed
for asking a question that has been asked before or for asking a question
which someone with many years more experience considers stupid. This group
is not like that.

Lurkers, Come on out!

Joanna

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
nk.net...
Nancy,

Come out, come out, wherever you are! S

Diana

wrote in message
m...

Old 15-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Amy

This is my first visit to RGO and I am impressed and will frequent
this group more often.

I'm new to growing orchids (2nd successful year!) so any and all
pointers will be very appreciated!

-Amy

Old 16-01-2004, 12:07 AM
J Fortuna

Welcome Amy!

I too am fairly new (though I try to pretend to myself that I am no longer a
beginner). By the end of April I will have been growing orchids successfully
for 3 years. I have 12 orchids by now (mostly Phals). How many orchids do
you have, Amy? And what type(s) are they?

Best,
Joanna

om...

Old 16-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Amy

"J Fortuna" wrote in message . ..
Welcome Amy!

I too am fairly new (though I try to pretend to myself that I am no longer a
beginner). By the end of April I will have been growing orchids successfully
for 3 years. I have 12 orchids by now (mostly Phals). How many orchids do
you have, Amy? And what type(s) are they?

Best,
Joanna

"Amy" wrote in message
om...
This is my first visit to RGO and I am impressed and will frequent
this group more often.

I'm new to growing orchids (2nd successful year!) so any and all
pointers will be very appreciated!

-Amy

Thanks for the warm welcome Joanna!
Currently, I have 4 phalaneopsis, 2 Paphiopedilum and 2 oncidium.
However, I have yet to determine the specific species names.

I recently got The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids by Alec
Pridgeon for Christmas so soon I will know the specifics.

Take care, Amy
Old 16-01-2004, 01:13 PM
J Fortuna

Amy,

Unfortunately, all that the encyclopedia will be able to help you ID is
species plants or maybe one of the most characteristic hybrids that do not
have many look-alikes. For most tag-less hybrids, while you can make a
guess, and say that it looks closest to this or that, even experienced
growers cannot identify the plants for sure. However, many of us have some
unidentified plants that we know only the genus of, and that's ok. Unless
you want to get the same plants in the future, or unless you want your
plants to compete in a show or be part of a cross, I think the ID beyond the
genus does not matter all that much (at least for Phals, where all Phals
have approximately the same culture requirements -- I would think that for
Dendrobiums it matters more, since some should be watered during the rest
period and some should not, I am not familiar enough with Oncs and Paphs).

For an interesting archived thread dealing with the issue of impossibility
of identifying NoIDs for sure, see
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre... llglobal.com -
- I really enjoyed the parts about the finches in White Monkey's (Katrina's)
messages.

Best,
Joanna

"Amy" wrote in message
om...
Currently, I have 4 phalaneopsis, 2 Paphiopedilum and 2 oncidium.
However, I have yet to determine the specific species names.

I recently got The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids by Alec
Pridgeon for Christmas so soon I will know the specifics.

[IBC] going no mail...going HOME! alicia-dr-hankins Bonsai 0 24-05-2004 03:05 PM
Re. RGO going down the drain. RetiredCBK Orchids 0 16-01-2004 04:05 AM
RGO going down the drain? Attn KYE Wendy Orchids 5 12-01-2004 10:08 PM
RGO going down the drain? Reka Orchids 1 06-01-2004 05:47 PM
RGO going down the drain? Reka Orchids 3 06-01-2004 05:45 PM