Old 17-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Claude

Default Question about lighting !

Hello everyone!

I`m in a process of changing my lighting system. I have a question:

What is the best:

1 48 inches fixture with two tubes

- 2 tube 40 watts Sylvania DayLight ( cool white ) OR
- 2 tube 40 watts Sylvania warm light ( Grow-Lux )

OR
- 1 tube of each

Is two tube of 40 watts too much? I also saw some 24 inches fixture with 20
watts tube?

What is the best knowing I`m growing mostly Phal, Paph and Onc.

Thanks

Claude

Old 17-01-2004, 08:33 PM
tbell

Claude -
I grow several Phals and a Paph about 12-18 inches below one cool and
one warm 40 watt fluorescent, the least expensive I could find. The
combination seems to work just fine.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Old 17-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Ray

Claude,

The larger, higher-output fixture is probably the way to go. Fluorescents
are low on the lumens output, so there's no fear of too much light -
besides, you can always increase the distance to the plant...

As to the bulbs themselves, are you sure about your descriptions? Daylight
and cool white are usually not synonymous.

I don't have the Sylvania specs handy, but in 40W, 48" T12 GE bulbs:

Cool White 2575 mean lumens, 4100°K color temp, color rendition index 60
Daylight 2775, 6500, 75
Chroma 50 1870, 5000, 90
Warm 2910, 3000, 70

Higher lumens = stronger light, can grow higher-light-demanding plants
easier
Higher color temp = generally closer to natural light
Higher CRI = spectrum closer to that of natural sunlight (resulting in more
natural-looking colors)

.. . . . . . . . . . .
news

Old 17-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Claude

Thanks Ray!

On the Sylvania tube itself, it`s written: Sylvania, Daylight, 40 watts Cool
White.

On the other one, Sylvania 40 watts, Warm Light

I guess if I put one of each on the same fixture, I will have a good light!
What do you think?

Thanks

Claude

Old 17-01-2004, 09:32 PM
profpam

Claude,

40 watts seems a little bit low for even the growing of a phal. I have
seen phals grown in the same light as cattleyas; however, I have been
told the key to growing phals is temperature and air movement. So,
perhaps, with only 40 watts you aren't even growing phals. Curiosity
has got me now. What other greenhouse bottom dwellers will grow at
minimum light -- 40 watts?

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 19-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Rob Halgren

profpam wrote:

Claude,

40 watts seems a little bit low for even the growing of a phal. I have
seen phals grown in the same light as cattleyas; however, I have been
told the key to growing phals is temperature and air movement. So,
perhaps, with only 40 watts you aren't even growing phals. Curiosity
has got me now. What other greenhouse bottom dwellers will grow at
minimum light -- 40 watts?

More a question of duration than intensity. I routinely grow paphs
and catasetum in some pretty dark corners. Most seedling orchids (of
the types I grow) fine in a dim corner, as long as they stay warm (a bit
of a challenge). My lights are on for 16-18 hours per day though. For
what it is worth, if you (the original questor) haven't bought a fixture
already, consider a four tube fixture. You can get them for ceiling
light applications ( think they are called 'troffers' for some obscure
reason). That is what I used for a long time (still have a couple, but
haven't needed to put them up yet). I've also had good luck with
putting two shop-light fixtures side by side. My rule was always to try
and achieve 1 tube for every 1' of bench width. Seemed to work.

Mixing cool and warm bulbs is nice for your viewing of the plants,
but I've never been able to convince myself that it matters to the
plants. That is after 10+ years of growing under cool white or the
cheapest I could find (under a buck each), with varying amounts (down to
zero) of external daylight. Your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't worry about how close you put them to the plants. The
closer the better. But, and it is a big but (...fight it.... ok), your
spikes will grow up into the tubes if you aren't careful. Best to
watch, and move any spiking plants to a windowsill or some other bright
location where they can develop fully.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit