Old 01-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Al

Default Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed

I just wanted to let people know what I finally did with regard to a
roller drum. I went into my attic where, low and behold, I found an
assortment of antique and very eBay-able turntables for those old
fashion records that many of you youngsters have never seen. I
actually have three of them that go back to my childhood up there. I
picked the Panasonic turn table with the built in 8 track player and
using a drill and some screws fashioned the spinning part to hold two
16 flask holders. Setting at an angle it spins them quite well at 45
rpms. I can load this contraption with about 10 flasks before it
starts to sound like it is working too hard and needs to be switched
to 78 rmps. Good enough to experiment with.

The hardest part was disabling the auto changer and automatic needle
arm. I had to go into the box and remove a gear in order to prevent
all chance that it would decide to "change records" when I turned my
back.

I have attached a lamp for illumination, and when I want to get really
silly I have some old speakers in the attic too, as well as a box of
8-track tapes. (If they still play I will be amazed. There must be
some organism that eats magnetic tape)

I probably could have sold the turn-table/8 track tape combo box on
eBay and bought a new roller drum. :-)

Anyway, thanks for the input...
Old 01-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Wendy

Al, I know you won't believe this, but I have been following your post &
thought
about a turntable but did not reply as I know zilch about all of this???
Anyway I must tell you that we hauled out our old Dual Turntable &
connected it
to a receiver & my computer. I have some old, old albums I want to copy.
Well the belt drive for the pitch or speed was broken. My husband searched
for one
& the going price was $35!!!
He used a wide rubber band. *g*
--
Cheers Wendy
Ps......There has to be a clever song title to go along with your

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

om...
:

Old 01-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Al

I am always a bit amazed that people read what I write. The idea that
nobody is really reading them is kind of freeing, if you know what I mean.
I used to think they dissipated in cyberspace after a very short time and
the discovery that Google is actually archiving them all the way back to the
beginning of cyber-time, should give us *all* pause, if not a serious case
of cyber-writer's constipation. On second thought, the things I wrote way
back when, can never be used against me because, as we all know, I have
aliens living in my head.

There is a branch of the Smithsonian in my attic, for sure.

To the topic: Mine didn't work when I took it down either, and I had to
fiddle with
various parts to unstick them. When I was in my teens the inside of these
contraptions looked so high-tech. (I don't think they had invented that
word yet) Now, for some reason, it's just looks like a pulley-and-wheel
kind of deal; a simple machine. Capacitors still bother me because I know I
shouldn't touch one even when the machine is unplugged and I know there's
one in there AND but I don't know what it looks like... Anyway, the little
rubber wheel that turns the table is what will wear out first, because the
weight of the flasks and holders and the angle create pressure on this piece
but I feel sure I can make something to replace it when it goes... The
table is designed to take the weight of half a dozen records so the motor
should carry the flasks for quite a while if I am careful with the load.

"Wendy" wrote in message
Al, I know you won't believe this, but I have been following your post &
thought
about a turntable but did not reply as I know zilch about all of this???
Anyway I must tell you that we hauled out our old Dual Turntable &
connected it
to a receiver & my computer. I have some old, old albums I want to copy.
Well the belt drive for the pitch or speed was broken. My husband searched
for one
& the going price was $35!!!
He used a wide rubber band. *g*
--
Cheers Wendy
Ps......There has to be a clever song title to go along with your
experiment?

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

om...

Old 01-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Al

"Wendy" wrote in message
Al, I know you won't believe this, but I have been following your post &
thought
about a turntable but did not reply as I know zilch about all of this???
Anyway I must tell you that we hauled out our old Dual Turntable &
connected it
to a receiver & my computer. I have some old, old albums I want to copy.
Well the belt drive for the pitch or speed was broken. My husband searched
for one
& the going price was $35!!!
He used a wide rubber band. *g*
--
Cheers Wendy
Ps......There has to be a clever song title to go along with your
experiment?

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Al" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Self-Propelled mowers -- Single speed vs. Variable speed? Kevin Lawns 2 12-04-2005 01:23 PM
Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed Al Orchids 0 19-01-2004 03:16 AM
Flask for orchid tissue culture profpam Orchids 1 20-07-2003 11:08 PM
tissue culture chundru Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
tissue culture chundru Plant Science 0 12-03-2003 02:08 PM