Old 19-01-2004, 03:21 AM
Al

Default Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed

I am looking into a piece of lab equipment called a roller drum. How fast
does the drum need to turn for best results?
I have identified two models. The first model, TC-7, has a rotation speed
of 6.0 - 56.0 rpm and the second model, TC-8, has a rotation speed of 0.2 -
3.5 rpm.

http://www.nbsc.com/products/rollerdrums/Default.asp

It seems to me that the spin would not need to be faster than a constant 2
or 3 rotations per minute which sounds about right if the goal is to keep
the tissue in the liquid media from orienting itself to gravity and light
direction. A rotation of 6 times a minute sounds fast to me and a top speed
of 56 rpm must be wrong for this purpose, but I don't know. Does anyone
reading this have any experience that could help me choose correctly?

Thanks,
Al

Old 19-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Rob Halgren

Al wrote:

It seems to me that the spin would not need to be faster than a constant 2
or 3 rotations per minute which sounds about right if the goal is to keep
the tissue in the liquid media from orienting itself to gravity and light
direction. A rotation of 6 times a minute sounds fast to me and a top speed
of 56 rpm must be wrong for this purpose, but I don't know. Does anyone
reading this have any experience that could help me choose correctly?

Never used one for this purpose... If 'any experience' counts
seeing them in action, in the murky haze of aged memory, then I think
that 56 is right out. I seem to recall the drums moving at 2 or 3 rpm.
Hopefully somebody has better information than the fluff in my skull.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 19-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Reka

I will admit I know nothing about the subject, but common sense tells me 56
is too fast. How fast can they grow to warrant turning them 56 times (i.e.
every second) in order to reorient the growth??
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Rob Halgren" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Al wrote:

[...]

---

Old 19-01-2004, 09:15 PM
doug houseman

I once had a chat with Herman at Oak Hill about his wheel - It is just
outside the lab door on the wall. He indicated to me (or so my notes
say) that it needs to rotate at least once a minute. I may be misquoting
him, but that is what is in my notes.

Doug

Old 20-01-2004, 09:18 PM
William Hill

"Al" wrote in message ...
I am looking into a piece of lab equipment called a roller drum. How fast
does the drum need to turn for best results?
I have identified two models. The first model, TC-7, has a rotation speed
of 6.0 - 56.0 rpm and the second model, TC-8, has a rotation speed of 0.2 -
3.5 rpm.

http://www.nbsc.com/products/rollerdrums/Default.asp

It seems to me that the spin would not need to be faster than a constant 2
or 3 rotations per minute which sounds about right if the goal is to keep
the tissue in the liquid media from orienting itself to gravity and light
direction. A rotation of 6 times a minute sounds fast to me and a top speed
of 56 rpm must be wrong for this purpose, but I don't know. Does anyone
reading this have any experience that could help me choose correctly?

Thanks,
Al

Hi Al, I personally use a New Brunswick shaker table. I have a wheel
but it's not N.B. The shaker is super (I'm not necessesarily
recomending shaker) really trying to say New Brunswick stuff is the
best on the market IMHO. The 2 or 3 rpm is fine --you only need to
keep the tissue disoriented so that it will multiply rather than put
down roots & put up a shoot. I suppose you know you need constant
light while 'cloning ?? (just threw that in) G Good Luck, Bill

Old 20-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Aaron Hicks

Al, you don't specify what you want to use it for, but the upper
speed is going to be way too high for tissue culture work with orchids.

Keep in mind that some orchids don't like 24 hr/day cycles for
tumbling. Some do best with a few hours on, followed by a few hours off.

I think there are plans on the web somewhere for do-it-yourself
rigs; ditto with eBay and Labx. Save some bucks.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Self-Propelled mowers -- Single speed vs. Variable speed? Kevin Lawns 2 12-04-2005 01:23 PM
Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed Al Orchids 0 19-01-2004 03:16 AM
Flask for orchid tissue culture profpam Orchids 1 20-07-2003 11:08 PM
tissue culture chundru Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
tissue culture chundru Plant Science 0 12-03-2003 02:08 PM