Old 19-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Giovanni

Default Phal aborting blooming

In September I got a full blooming phal. Beginning of december, it
started to grow a new branch on the flower spike and also developed
new buds on it.
A couple of weeks ago, the original flowers started to shrivel, no big
deal, they lasted months, but then also the new buds shriveled and
fell.
I thought that by starting a new branch the plant was well fed and
happy, but now I'm not so sure....
What happened ?
Old 20-01-2004, 01:07 AM
Kenni Judd

Buds blast for many reasons: plant kept too dry; humidity too low; too
cold; sharp swings in temperature or humidity; insects [usually thrips, but
possibly aphids and maybe others]; and sometimes for no apparent reason
whatsoever. Check the list, correct what you can, and hope for the best.
As long as the plant is healthy and happy, be patient, it will bloom again
when it's ready.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

om...

Old 22-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Giovanni

Many thanks for your suggestions. Humidity may be a problem here in
winter time with central heating and thermostats. Also little air
exchange, bad for humans too.. Spring and summer time is much better,
with open windows and free air circulation.

Giovanni

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message ...
Buds blast for many reasons: plant kept too dry; humidity too low; too
cold; sharp swings in temperature or humidity; insects [usually thrips, but
possibly aphids and maybe others]; and sometimes for no apparent reason
whatsoever. Check the list, correct what you can, and hope for the best.
As long as the plant is healthy and happy, be patient, it will bloom again
when it's ready.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

om...

Old 22-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Bob Walsh

Fresh or ripening fruit can cause bud blast and flower dropping also. I know
some varieties of fruit are worse than others but I do not recall which.

The cause is ethylene gas given off during the ripening process.

Bob
om...

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message

Buds blast for many reasons: plant kept too dry; humidity too low; too
cold; sharp swings in temperature or humidity; insects [usually thrips,

but
possibly aphids and maybe others]; and sometimes for no apparent reason
whatsoever. Check the list, correct what you can, and hope for the

best.
As long as the plant is healthy and happy, be patient, it will bloom

again
when it's ready.

--
Kenni Judd