Old 20-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Lori Siegmund

Default Anyone have a deluxe Santa Barbara Greenhouse?

Hi everyone,

My orchids and me will be taking the next leap.... a greenhouse!

I am seriously looking at a deluxe model of the Santa Barbara
Greenhouse, out of Oxnard, CA. Does anyone have any experience with
the company and the deluxe model? Or do you know anyone who does? I
would be interested in dialogue about your experience with them.

Thank you!
Lori Siegmund
Santa Cruz, California
Old 20-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Larry Dighera

On 19 Jan 2004 20:57:15 -0800, (Lori Siegmund)
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Hi everyone,

My orchids and me will be taking the next leap.... a greenhouse!

Congratulations!

I am seriously looking at a deluxe model of the Santa Barbara
Greenhouse, out of Oxnard, CA. Does anyone have any experience with
the company and the deluxe model? Or do you know anyone who does? I
would be interested in dialogue about your experience with them.

Thank you!
Lori Siegmund
Santa Cruz, California

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Santa Barbara Greenhouses.
However, from the information available on their web site
http://www.sbgreenhouse.com/ they do seem competitively priced, good
looking and complete if you purchase the Special package they offer.
Free shipping is going to save you a lot too.

I would expect redwood to be reasonably durable, perhaps more so than
galvanized steel in a marine environment. I suspect, that while
initially not as inexpensive as glass, the twin-wall polycarbonate
will soon pay for itself in reduced heating fuel costs; they claim 40%
savings.

What size greenhouse are you considering? They offer greenhouses in
9', 11' and 15' widths. Because no widths were mentioned for the
benches listed, I would presume they are all the same width, so you
can probably get one bench in the 9' wide, two in the 11' wide and
three in the 15' wide. However, a pair of 24' long redwood benches
priced at $719.00 seems a little high. I would consider constructing
my own benches to reduce costs.
Old 20-01-2004, 05:07 PM
K Barrett

wrote in Message-Id:
:

[...]

Nice specials! I like that the kit includes heater, misting system and
vents. And benches. (look under the 'specials' link on the home page. I
considered Santa Barbara when I was building my GH. I liked the wood,
rather than the aluminum that most other kits are made from. Something
about the wood not conducting heat/cold like the metal does. However we in
California don't have the extremes that the rest of the country does. I
usually tell people to look at the Costco website too, you have to use their
product search button for 'greenhouses' but they have a good all inclusive
kit too, however its aluminum. The best thing is saving the shipping costs!
Very nice!

K Barrett

Old 20-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:47:04 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote in Message-Id: cYcPb.106879$8H.199229@attbi_s03:

.. .
wrote in Message-Id:
:

[...]

Wow! None of the greenhouses on the Costco web site are priced over
$3,000.00.
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...rch=greenhouse

Unfortunately, this seems to be the largest they offer:

The Glass Gardener Magnum Greenhouse
8 ft 5" x 14 ft 7"
1/8-inch tempered safety glass
$2,799.99
Item # 464014
Shipping & Handling included

Thanks for the information, Kathy.

Old 20-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Wendy

Kathy, you could buy two smaller ones & join them together, that is what we
did.
I saved about $900, ended up with a 10 x 25. Unfortunately my guy went O O
B!
You need a small drill & a Rivit Gun, its really easy. Also a strip to cover
the join on
the outside.

--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
: On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:47:04 GMT, "K Barrett"
: wrote in Message-Id: cYcPb.106879$8H.199229@attbi_s03:
:
: "Larry Dighera" wrote in message
: .. .
: On 19 Jan 2004 20:57:15 -0800, (Lori Siegmund)
: wrote in Message-Id:
: :
:
: Hi everyone,
:

Old 20-01-2004, 10:07 PM
K Barrett

wrote in Message-Id:
:

[...]

You're welcome. But remeber, one is aliminum, and the other is redwood.
There is definitely a cosmetic difference between the two.

K Barrett