GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brassavola Dropping Leaves... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/50700-brassavola-dropping-leaves.html)

mercury 21-01-2004 03:47 AM

Brassavola Dropping Leaves...

To anyone that may be of help. I have recently gotten into raising
orchids, and have had pretty good luck so far, with a few different
families. I recently about 2 mo ago purchased a brassavola, and it has
dropped a couple of leaves. I was wondering if this was normal in
winter, as it is with some dendrobiums, or if I should be looking for
problems. It looks healthy otherwise...

What could this be symptomatic of?

Any help will be greatly appreciated... TIA

Ray 21-01-2004 12:22 PM

Brassavola Dropping Leaves...

Unless they are old and starting to yellow, brassavolas should not drop
leaves, as they are the entire photosynthesis and water/nutrition storing
elements the plant has.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Larry Dighera 21-01-2004 12:22 PM

Brassavola Dropping Leaves...

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:34:24 -0500, "Ray"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Unless they are old and starting to yellow, brassavolas should not drop
leaves, as they are the entire photosynthesis and water/nutrition storing
elements the plant has.

Agreed. If the plant's leaves are turning yellow and dropping off, I
would guess it's a result of inappropriate irrigation either over or
under. If the plant is mounted as opposed to potted, I would guess it
may not be receiving adequate moisture and/or winter humidity may be
too low. If potted, it may be standing in water. Salt buildup may
also cause leaf drop (and worse). Occasionally a plant receiving
marginal cultural conditions will cannibalize a leaf to provide
sustenance to new growth.

It would aid diagnosis to know if the leaves appear
srhiviled/desicated or if they possess normal turgor, and a
description of the plant's environment and culture would help too.