Old 23-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Claude

Default Light fixture and humidity!

Hello everyone!

I`m planning to get fluorescent fixture ( 4 feet long ) to put over my
shelving unit. Also, I would like to cover the shelving unit with plastic to
increase the humidity level.
Question: Should I be concern about humidity and electric fixture and rust?
I will add some fan to create an air movement but I `m concern about the
possibility of rusting ?

Thanks

Claude

Old 23-01-2004, 04:04 AM
tbell

Claude -
Unless you mist the area heavily, probably not. I have my shoplight
fixture on open, coated steel wire shelves, and have surrounded three sides
of the shelves with plastic drop cloths, mostly to keep from soaking the
wall when I do mist. After several years, no rust.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Old 23-01-2004, 03:02 PM
dusty

"Claude" wrote in
:

Hello everyone!

I`m planning to get fluorescent fixture ( 4 feet long ) to put over my
shelving unit. Also, I would like to cover the shelving unit with
plastic to increase the humidity level.
Question: Should I be concern about humidity and electric fixture and
rust? I will add some fan to create an air movement but I `m concern
about the possibility of rusting ?

Thanks

Claude

I would watch out for heat build up.Fluoroesent fixtures put out a lot of
heat.
Most orchids do well with the same humidity we like around %50.
Old 23-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Rob Halgren

Hello everyone!

I`m planning to get fluorescent fixture ( 4 feet long ) to put over my
shelving unit. Also, I would like to cover the shelving unit with
plastic to increase the humidity level.
Question: Should I be concern about humidity and electric fixture and
rust? I will add some fan to create an air movement but I `m concern
about the possibility of rusting ?

I've had the cheap shoplight fixtures with water actually dripping on
them (no, that isn't safe and I don't recommend it) last for years. I
use HID lights now, but the old shoplights lasted for at least 10 years
under 'orchid use' conditions. I gave them away, still functional, and
I presume they are still in use today. My humidity was probably not
above 50% for most of that time.

They might rust a little bit. It adds to the charm. It will take many
years before that becomes a functional problem.

Consider a 4 tube fixture. Costs about 30-40 dollars. Well worth the
investment, in my opinion. You will find them in the home center
disguised as ceiling fixtures. Who would want to use them for anything
but orchids? Some people are weird. *grin* Remove the translucent
plastic panel if it has one, you don't want anything between glass-bulb
and pseudobulb.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 26-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Rob Halgren

Trent-Lion wrote:

Why is this, please!
T-L

Remove the translucent

plastic panel if it has one, you don't want anything between glass-bulb
and pseudobulb.

Rob

Some of the ceiling fixtures come with a clear or translucent thin
plastic panel. When you use them in the original application (in a
ceiling), this diffuses the light and protects you from broken glass
should a tube break. But it reduces the light intensity. So, if you
use them for growing plants, go ahead and remove the diffuser. If you
are really concerned about light tubes breaking, you can get plastic
safety sleeves for them at the home center (they are just a little
bigger than a tube). If you have exposed fluorescent tubes in your
ceiling fixtures (at least in a commercial building) you are required to
have those safety sleaves by code. At least that is the rules around
here, as I understand them. But that doesn't apply to your plant stand.